Black Powder Handguns

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I took ALL of my black powder handguns to the range,reproductions and antiques. I shot 10 rounds through an 1864 Manhattan .36 Series IV and 15 rounds through an 1849 Pocket Colt (circa 1861) they both need more work but are getting closer to being back in business.
The first photo shows the reproductions (the first 5 guns from the left ) and the Pocket Colt .31 and Manhattan .36 on the right.

RangeJuly252011001-1.jpg


This is the same shot except from the rear.

RangeJuly252011002-1.jpg


The gun on the top is a Pietta .44 cal. Yank with rebated cylinder and below a Uberti .36 cal. 1851 Navy made in 2010.

RangeJuly252011004.jpg


This picture is the Uberti on top and the Pocket Colt 1849 all loaded and on half #### ready to go.

RangeJuly252011005.jpg


This is a target at 15 meters..the first three hole above the black were point of aim for the Uberti .36 I adjusted the aim and the other 9 shots were in the black.
The two small holes were from the Pocket Colt the other 3 didn't even hit the paper.

RangeJuly252011008.jpg
 
I tried some conical bullets in the Uberti .36 and the gun shot way high I am wondering if the extra recoil causes this. The conical weighs 1.6 X as much as the ball and the extra recoil is quite noticeable.
 
I probably shot the flinter about 15 times...with no sights and being a smooth-bore it is rewarding to even hit the paper. The flint has proven to be as reliable as the caps that I use, I ordered 20 spare flints thinking that they wouldn't last very long but the flint in the gun has about 75 shots on it and still going strong.
When it stops sparking a small change in the angle seems to get it going again. The flinter is also very easy to clean compared to the revolvers,the only downside is the heavy trigger pull... it feels like about 50 pounds.
 
Back
Top Bottom