Black powder in my Marlin 1895 a few questions.

natesfitness

Regular
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Location
Petawawa
I've been reloading for my 45-70 with smokeless for some time and have been thinking about getting into black powder. I have LOTS of questions on the matter but for starters here's a few.

As you can imagine I love my 1895 and don't want anything to happen to it :D what do I have to do (if anything) differently during my cleaning? For the record I clean once every time I get back from the range whether I shoot 1 round or 100.

Where can you get black powder now days? I have never seen it available in any gun shop.

Are the imitation black powders the same as regular, ie would I stick with 70grs for the traditional 45-70 load?

How do I know what I need, FG, FFG, FFFG and what does all this mean?

Will black powder affect my brass life? Do I need to clean my brass?
 
Last edited:
Get you some ffg at Williams or Epps, first determine ctg. OAL with the bullet you intend to use, drop tube varying amounts of BP until you determine the amount that fills the case to the bottom of the bullet with no airspace, that is your load. You can use slightly more if you compress the powder down to the same level . Do not use bullet to compress powder as the soft bullets you should be using will deform.....Cases will last forever using black if you rinse/wash them out with soap and hot water after use, make sure they are absolutely dry before you try to reload them....enjoy.
 
For cleaning cases do just what Ben said. Having a "test tube" style brush will help speed things up tremendously.

At the range I drop the fired cases into a water bottle filled with soap and water. Then I rinse them out with the brush in my basement laundry sink (my wife HATES the smell :D). Then I decap them and put them into my tumbler and 2 hours later they are shiny and clean.

Have fun.

Chris.
 
Back
Top Bottom