Black powder speed loaders, what do you use?

geotndtwine

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Location
Calgary, Alberta
Hi, all I was just wondering what you all use for pre measured charges. I have seen the plastic charges sold on line. As well I have seen people bending and melting drink straws. Long ago a fellow showed me a trick where two spent brass cartridges slid together, but for the life of me I can't remember what two slipped together. If anyone knows this trick it would be appreciated, or something else great. Thanks
 
I use the Thompson Center Quick Shot speed loaders. A friend of mine uses the non child resistant pill bottles, he puts the powder in the bottle then puts a piece of plastic bag over the mouth of the bottle with the bullet on top then puts the lid on, when you need to reload just remove the lid with the plastic and bullet together, dump the charge down the barrel put the bullet on top and ram it home.
 
Copper pipe and wood end plugs, looks very period correct.

It isn't really. But I actually quite like this idea even if it's more "steam punk" than period correct. And it's HEAPS better than being caught in a black powder group with plastic stuff. Really the only period correct option is rolled paper cartridges.

There's places that sell the various buttons and wheels for making wood toys. Is that where you got your wood plugs?
 
old film canisters work well you used to be able to get them for free at place's that developed film idk if you can get them that easily with everything being digital now
 
It isn't really. But I actually quite like this idea even if it's more "steam punk" than period correct. And it's HEAPS better than being caught in a black powder group with plastic stuff. Really the only period correct option is rolled paper cartridges.

There's places that sell the various buttons and wheels for making wood toys. Is that where you got your wood plugs?

I make em from wood dowels along with my stoppers for the shot and ball pouches I make. Get em over-sized for the pipe, stick em in a drill bolted to the work bench and turn em with sand paper in your hand til they fit snug. I am working on paper right now, including folding paper cartridge packs for 6 (pistol) and 10 (rifle) paper cartridges. Fun stuff making your own, work in leather, paper, wood, brass and canvas.
 
Back
Top Bottom