Blacken brass?

madtrapper143

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
302   0   1
Any home recipes to darken brass hardware on my .54 Hawken type rifle? I am able to strip the bluing and brown the barrel. But I need a recipe for something to darken the brass trim down.

thanks, Darryl
 
Last edited:
Birchwood-Casey makes Brass Black for just that purpose. Used just like cold bluing. It'll be a lot less fuss than a hot blackening recipe.
There are 'recipes' in Machinery's Handbook(over $150Cdn from Amazon.ca. Handy book, but I wouldn't pay $150 plus for it. Runs around $100US from Amazon.com. Less for a used copy.), all of which involve trioxide of arsenic and potassium cyanide and heat. Fades without being lacquered too. You should be able to find it in your public library's reference section.
If you really want to play with the acids, I can send you the recipes. Brass Black is a better idea though. Likely easier to get than arsenic and cyanide too.
 
Try abebooks.com to if you want a used copy of Machinery's Handbook for a lower cost than new. Older editions still have good info that doesn't become obsolete.
 
I've had antiques that have had the brass buffed up on them. I suspend the parts in amonia fumes for 24 hours, like a plastic pail with lid and half an inch of amonia. Don't hang other metal in it tho. After 24 hrs, you can polish to what you like, and give it some more if you want. Suspend from the lid with fishing line, not wire.
Bill...
 
Drop it into snow then take it inside to warm up and the snow to melt.
I recently went shooting and my brass is really spotty if not completely black.
 
When you are cleaning your blackpowder gun take a dirty, wet, soot covered patch and rub it on all the brass parts you want darkened. This will quickly simulate 100 years of honest use, and it doesn't get more authentic.
 
Back
Top Bottom