Boer War Mausers - a small world.......

tacfoley

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Boer War Mauser carbine #6688 shown at 9:35 in Ian McCullum's [SP?] Forgotten Weapons -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjSShy_Yr3U&t=968s

is just three digits older than mine - #6691.

How and when did they get separated? What stories they would tell if they could!

Mine was taken from its owner on May 10th 1901 after the Korannafontein skirmish/débacle was over. It taught the Australians a very hard lesson about rushing to fight without any kind of recce...

You can see my carbine in action on Youtube - tac's guns Boer War Mauser carbine.
 
Many Boer mausers had personal intricate hand carved stocks with regiment or sweethearts names.I have an article in an old G+A magazine. The author returned his 95 to it's original owner's family.
 
There are a couple of very fine ilustrated books called something like 'Carved Mausers of the Boers' by George [?] SNU. I'm told that the auther included pictures of my carbine in an earlier version, but I couldn't afford to buy the book.
 
That would be "Carvings from the Veldt" by Dave C. George. It now has three volumes. Through pictures and emails, he confirmed that my 1896 L. Loewe rifle is genuine Boer purchased / issued - #B782.
 
Many Boer mausers had personal intricate hand carved stocks with regiment or sweethearts names.I have an article in an old G+A magazine. The author returned his 95 to it's original owner's family.

I kick myself for not pinching my wallet a little more and buying one I saw at a small town gunshop a decade back.
 
I've had mine since around 1998, and paid a small fortune for it, even back then. Like my 1912 Model B, it is very fond of .285" bullets with flat bases, now VERY hard to find anywhere. A friend on northwestfirearms sent me a box of sixty SP to try and they are great, he just can't recall the brand. The older-style 175 RN so-called 'pencil' bullets would shoot in either of them even better, with their long bearing surface. I had a hundred or so, RN-FB nickel-jacketed, pulled from corroded DWM ammuntion dated 1901 - THEY were the bee's knees. I'm keeping ten for posterity...
 
If you ever get the chance read up on a young newspaper correspondent named "Winston Churchill" and how he escaped from a POW camp and made his way back to safety. He was almost killed several times in skirmishes during that war, as if he were a "James Bond" character. Quite a brave, adventurous man.
 
That would be "Carvings from the Veldt" by Dave C. George. It now has three volumes. Through pictures and emails, he confirmed that my 1896 L. Loewe rifle is genuine Boer purchased / issued - #B782.

Sir, many thanks for the very useful help you have provided me, giving me more correct detail than I had before. I must make contact with Mijneer de Jaeger again over in Otosdorf.

Edit - 'slim kerel' on gunboards.com has just posted that he has #6334 - AND he lives, like me, in the UK. I'd like to get in touch with him to arrange a photoshoot!!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom