BP cartridge question

leadslinger

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
Eastern Ont.
I occasionaly load pyrodex "P" in my .44 mag and .45 colt cartridges
for cowboy loads.
I use the listed loads for my 200 grain bullets that will compress load by aprox 1/8".
No problems with that other than i would like to down load them a bit.
I find them a bit snappy, and really pound the steel targets at CAS match's.
Can i use a felt wad between charge and bullet like my cap-n-ball
so i can safely download the charges a few grains and still have compression
of the powder charge?
My hodgen manuel said to use a .030 card wad.
I have made some with my hollow punch set.
They didnt mention if i could use more that one card wad.
I played with a lighter charge with a felt wad and i get compression,
but havent tested any yet.
Anyone else try or do this?
 
I have heard of putting Cream of Wheat (uncooked) on top of the charge but I have never tried it,maybe some one has........:D
 
I have heard of putting Cream of Wheat (uncooked) on top of the charge but I have never tried it,maybe some one has........:D

Cream of wheat, corn meal etc, along with felt wads
i have used in cap-n-balls to safely download charges,
just havent deviated from full charge loads for cartridge
loads.
I received a PM from a member who said no problem,
as long as no air gaps.
 
I'd sooner do a lubed felt wad before I would do Cream of Wheat. At least the lubed wad would be doing something extra. Place a card wad over the powder to prevent contamination.

What kind of lube(s) are you using?
 
there has been a "rumor" of cream of wheat imbedding itself into the cylinder and bore of some pistols/rifles when used as a filler- we're talking RIGHT INTO THE STEEL- as in you're going to have to re-surface to get the stuff out- i don't know whether it was black or smokeless, or how good the source was, or whether it's GOING to happen, and the user just got lucky- i've never had the inclination, and that's why i call it a "rumor"- never SEEN it myself
 
Used cream of wheat for years as a filler no problems use only in straight walled cases and you should be fine
 
I once saw a .243 Winchester some.... body has tried to use cream of wheat as a filler for reduced loads. Did you know you can swage a belt onto an unsuspecting cartridge? :slap:

I can't see how cream of wheat would embed itself into the steel. But if you INSIST on using it, place a card wad between the powder charge and the filler.
 
For cap n ball pistols,
powder charge, then lubed (bore butter) wad, some corn meal
for filler ,then ball and stuff.
Corn meal and wad keeps bore clean.
Used this for several years with no problems.
Now I want to start loading pyrodex P in straight wall cartridges
(.44 and .45) and plan on using a lubed felt wad to reduce
the full charge down a bit.
I have loaded with full loads, but find they are too hot
and a waste of powder for CAS.
Manual only mentioned card wad, just wanted to see
if any others used felt wads.
I dont see a problem, as long as i get compression.
 
If you are shooting cast and using COW for filler you will not likely have any leading problems.
I always use a card over the powder before the filler.
I have used it in bottleneck cases.
I have been playing with Black for 38 years, never had any coplications. (touch wood maybe).

Ken.
 
Back
Top Bottom