BP cartrige pistol loads... how much powder compression?

MiltonBradly

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Hamilton ON
Hey all,

My only BP loading experience so far is with my repro' 1851 navy. Loading it with the lever is fairly easy and due to the high mechanical advantage one can really pack the charge down under the projectile. I know that open air space is dangerous for BP loads but how much compression is necessary to be safe?

I'm going to be loading cartridges for my new (to me) antique pistol and want to know if I use a card/fiber wad filler when starting with light loads do I need to pack the charge down hard or just fill the void while holding the powder in place? I guess the closest analogy I can think of is: If you used corrugated cardboard for wads would you have to crush the corrugations flat to be safe or would the fact that the corrugated wads hold the powder down in a solid mass be enough to keep pressure in check?

Thanks
MB
 
if you are reducing loades put a card between the powder and the filler cream of wheat compress with bullet slightly I don't think it wise to make a wad collum out of multiple layers of card bord as this may ring your chamber .
 
You don't really need much compression. You just want to be sure that there is no empty space.

Different powders work better at different compressions and the long range rifle guys will spend a lot of time playing with it. For a pistol you just want safe and consistent. Maybe 1/16 - 1/8 inch of crunch depending on the volume of the case.
 
Back
Top Bottom