Bringing up an antique from the south and beating a dead horse

Noel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
245   0   0
Hi guys

Bringing up a single shot rimfire rifle from 1864.

Chatted with Dingus regarding bringing his goodies up but his have all been of the shorter persuasion.
If you've brought a long gun up curious what paperwork you have the seller ship with it other than DOM, rimfire, etc for the border officials.

Thanks very much!
 
If you're shipping you could also have the seller include a statement that the firearm is an Antique in accordance with Canadian laws, especially on letterhead if the seller is a dealer. If not, you might consider sending the seller the FRT print-out for the firearm in question, and highlight the Antique classification part when he ships it. Also; I had one guy forget to include a receipt, which delayed things while I obtained auction records to show what I'd paid for it.

That's all just suggestions, & I've never had any shipped directly to me in Canada. I've had too much grief with CBSA with several other non-firearms packages shipped to me, to risk a firearm being returned to sender... I've always brought firearms across personally and/or met the seller at the border. I'd rather be there to answer any & all questions that may arise, on the spot.
Then again; I live on a border town and can have stuff shipped to an address on the U.S. side.
I've brought a number of handguns across that were considered Antique on both sides of the border, with FRT print-outs confirming Antique status.
I've also brought some rifles across, including a couple considered Antique in the U.S., but not here (repeaters). That was back when we were stuck with the long-gun registry, so those ones I had verified while still in the U.S., registered them, then brought them across.
Not a problem anymore.
I do my homework, carry FRT print-outs, plus I've also printed out CBSA regs describing the importation process because more often than not I got someone who wasn't familiar with firearms or firearms importation. Not trying to be a know-it-all or smart-a$$, I just found that the easier I make things for them, the easier they made it for me. Never had a hassle yet. Once when I planned to bring a few over at the same time I called ahead & spoke with the port supervisor to ask about the best time to cross, but also to advise him of my plans & to assure him that everything was in order; no probs.
 
Smoothbore, thanks for taking the time to add that on here.

I had several coming up in a large shipment during the registry and it turned into a huge rodeo resulting in none of us getting our shipment at the border, only because the wrong supervisor was on duty that day and she was unfamiliar
No such thing as too safe.
Where can a person find the FRT files and cbsa?

It's coming to Alberta from Florida so knowing which port it will cross, I have no idea on that.
 
For CBSA info it's been a while since I've been on their site, but if you google the most recent update to customs memorandum D19-13-2.
For FRT access, your best bet might to check with local gun-shops, or inquire with local police about verifiers. You might even get some help or direction on the CFP 1-800-731-4000 line.
 
I ended up calling Coutts, got put thru to a very friendly chap.

It will end up at one of three different sorting plants, he wasn't sure which. There they will double check the age and nail me with duty etc and papers from seller and then send it to me. If they have any issue they will contact me.
 
I always send the seller the copies of the Canadian paper work that defines that that particular item as an antique and ask the seller to include it with the invoice.

I usually pick up the antique at the post office and pay any applicable tax at that time.
 
I was told by CBSA that a rimfire or centerfire firearm would have to be registered, I hope they were wrong, but...
Definition of Antique firearm, Memorandum D19-13-2
(i) any firearm manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge RIMFIRE or CENTERFIRE ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition; or
(ii) any firearm that is prescribed to be an antique firearm as listed in the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.html
 
Last edited:
Yes, whoever said that is dead wrong, because they ignored sub-clause "ii" following the word "or" at the end of sub-clause "i" ....

Under the Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms, the following are also "antique", and thus exempt from registration and licensing requirements (relevant provisions quoted here in their entirety, by direct "cut and paste" from the regulations published on the Federal Department of Justice website) -

BLACK POWDER REPRODUCTIONS

1. A reproduction of a flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearm, other than a handgun, manufactured after 1897.

RIFLES

2. A rifle manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

3. A rifle manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, whether with a smooth or rifled bore, having a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine.

SHOTGUNS

4. A shotgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

5. A shotgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 or 410 gauge cartridges.

HANDGUNS

6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.
 
Back
Top Bottom