Brown Bess Musketoon Question

clanquinn

New member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Location
Wasaga Beach ON
I have always liked the old Brown Bess and have been considering buying a Brown Bess Musketoon from Loyalist Arms (http://loyalistarms.freeservers.com/longlandmusketoon.htm).

I am a member of the Barrie Gun Club and I have been considering use of the Bess Musketoon for use with blackpowder trap and skeet.

In researching the historical accuracy of musketoon Besses, I saw the following example for sale at the 400 Market (just south of Barrie ON).

Is this bobbed Bess correct?

I welcome any feedback and advice!

Jim
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1160.jpg
    IMG_1160.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1162.jpg
    IMG_1162.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 214
The look and description are about right. Own a few originals, full length, I would only shoot them on occasion. Good tests prior to firing would be recommenneded as with any original antique arm.
As for the sticker price,most would say a too high for a chopped down Bess, historical story or not. You might find a good full length Bess, flinter for around that money.
 
Incidentally, if you want a flintlock gun for shooting trap and skeet, you will want a gun with a very fast lock and ignition. A musket might not be the best choice.
 
If I were building one for Trap and skeet I’d use an L&R English lock. Super fast ignition, and a cupped flashhole liner. I used this combo in the last build and it’s the fastest flinter I’ve ever used.
 
1800....Ouch...For less then that you could get something really nice from Jacki Brown that you could really pound on. A original is something your always gonna have to baby in my opinion......That said I really like this bobbed bess.
 
For sporting use, trap shooting, etc., here is a really nice 16ga shotgun I purchased several years ago. It was made in 1822.

004.jpg

001.jpg

I must admit, I've not shot it, although there is no reason it couldn't be used. Bore is shiny.
 

Attachments

  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 111
Back
Top Bottom