Brown Bess Muskets Every Where

Loyer

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
Normally a true pattern Brown Bess India pattern comes up on the EE once a year. Right now there a three being offered by three different posters. Prices range from 1800 to 6000.

Maybe the new gun laws will ban them ?
 
Id think theres quite a few Repo Brown Bess owners like myself out there! But as for real ones... not everybody can afford to have $2000+ tied up in a pitted and battered historic paper weight lol
 
Id think theres quite a few Repo Brown Bess owners like myself out there! But as for real ones... not everybody can afford to have $2000+ tied up in a pitted and battered historic paper weight lol

I own one now with the barrel shortened by about 1" and have owned 2 others all in the $1000 range. None were pristine and all were shootable. They do come up from time to time and no I do not want to sell my present one

cheers mooncoon
 
lol I wouldnt risk it, a charge in a gun that old ?! Id never feel safe. SO I bought a Pedersoli. Each to their own I guess ....
 
lol I wouldnt risk it, a charge in a gun that old ?! Id never feel safe. SO I bought a Pedersoli. Each to their own I guess ....

I used to have a Japanese Miroku Brown Bess...a very sweet item that was, wish I'd kept it.
I did fire that one and it was fun.

Edited to add- the stock on it was Japanese cherry. It was nice but nothing like as nice as black walnut.
 
Last edited:
Did someone say Brown Bess? The main reason to not buy an original Brown Bess is the amt of money for essentially a non shooting gun. I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess so I can shoot it. Now if I had the money....
 
Id think theres quite a few Repo Brown Bess owners like myself out there! But as for real ones... not everybody can afford to have $2000+ tied up in a pitted and battered historic paper weight lol

Repros are nice, but another factor is, the things are smooth bore. They're not exactly eye dotting marksman long arms at the best of times. The whole deal with them was a whole army shooting them at the same time.
 
Repros are nice, but another factor is, the things are smooth bore. They're not exactly eye dotting marksman long arms at the best of times. The whole deal with them was a whole army shooting them at the same time.

they are no worse than any other smoothbore. To me the biggest drawback is that they use almost twice the lead and powder for a trade gun. In terms of accuracy using patched roundball, a good shot with a trade gun can match a rifle shooter on metal targets out to about 75 yards. It does take a lot of practice to accurately shoot a gun with only a front sight

cheers mooncoon
 
I’ve owned and shot repros (pedersoli) and originals.. shoot the same, not sure what you guys are scared of. Clean bore solid breechplug why not. I shot every day though so I got good with mine. If your just weekend plinking you’ll never get good with one of these lead pigs.
 
Repros are nice, but another factor is, the things are smooth bore. They're not exactly eye dotting marksman long arms at the best of times. The whole deal with them was a whole army shooting them at the same time.

People don't buy smooth bores for accuracy... People buy them for novelty, reenacting and to experience the shear joy of lobbing a 500gr ball down range followed by enough smoke to blot out the sun haha. I enjoy shooting my Pedersoli more than alot of my modern semi auto guns!
 
This makes absolutely no sense.... Literally.
I guess you can’t read. LEAD PIG, takes a freakin huge round ball (500grs) of lead. And you can get reasonable accuracy with it but you have to practice. I did every day for years. Wore out two frizzins and three mainsprings. 100 yards and nail a 10in gong consistently.
 
Deals are out there. Just bought 160 Bess lead balls at around 0.73 for $20. Ive shot repros and originals and I'm still here.
Note: Every Canadian would like a Brown Bess flintlock up on their wall.
 
I guess you can’t read. LEAD PIG, takes a freakin huge round ball (500grs) of lead. And you can get reasonable accuracy with it but you have to practice. I did every day for years. Wore out two frizzins and three mainsprings. 100 yards and nail a 10in gong consistently.
I'm talking about how u stated that one won't get good if u just shoot on weekends.....
 
Back
Top Bottom