Built from parts,,,, .577 Snider

nope a trade gun as in a flintlock trade gun that's the style of stock im putting mine in

I'll have to study up on that a bit. The fellow that I got this stock from told me that it was not an original Snider stock. Apparently the spring clip on the fore stock was not on any of the originals. The butt end on this one was also different, it had to be shaved flat to fit the butt plate.
 
pre carved if I can find one with enough meat to inlet the snider action into

And that will be the problem.
No one makes a precarved for the tradegun variant that uses an Enfield pattern percussion lock. If they did, a tradegun is slender; doubt that there would be enough wood to allow inletting the Snider receiver, and a rifled musket barrel is larger in diameter than a tradegun's.
Maybe Petaconica could do one a bit oversized without a lock inlet, and a starter barrel channel.
Any luck with getting a 24 gauge barrel?
 
And that will be the problem.
No one makes a precarved for the tradegun variant that uses an Enfield pattern percussion lock. If they did, a tradegun is slender; doubt that there would be enough wood to allow inletting the Snider receiver, and a rifled musket barrel is larger in diameter than a tradegun's.
Maybe Petaconica could do one a bit oversized without a lock inlet, and a starter barrel channel.
Any luck with getting a 24 gauge barrel?

im going to order one from tack of the wolf and just to add sorry for going slightly off topic OP
 
There once was a couple of guys back east (Trawna) who were offering 'new' Sniders made from P-H replicas. They cannibalized actions from original Sniders. I was in their shop and they made a pretty nice job. They would convert your rifle or you could buy one of theirs.
 
There once was a couple of guys back east (Trawna) who were offering 'new' Sniders made from P-H replicas. They cannibalized actions from original Sniders. I was in their shop and they made a pretty nice job. They would convert your rifle or you could buy one of theirs.

the snider action is not all that complex idk why someone would go to those lengths of taking sniders and cannibalizing them
 
Because they used sound actions from Sniders with poor barrels and it was a lot easier fix than machining new breech blocks.
 
yeah that's a game I would not play sniders and smokeless are a no no black powder or pyrodex only

The 8th edition of "Cartridges of the World" has a load for IMR 4198 and I have found other recommendations. I tried 4198 but could not get it to ignite. Out of the powders that I have available to me the 452 AA with light loads shows no signs of pressure problems and burns very clean.

Not recommending it to others and I know that black powder shooters are very loyal to it. I have a friend that shoots black powder in his Snider and after seeing his results I have no interest in it at all. If Blackhorn 209 wasn't so expensive I would likely use it.
 
The 8th edition of "Cartridges of the World" has a load for IMR 4198 and I have found other recommendations. I tried 4198 but could not get it to ignite. Out of the powders that I have available to me the 452 AA with light loads shows no signs of pressure problems and burns very clean.

Not recommending it to others and I know that black powder shooters are very loyal to it. I have a friend that shoots black powder in his Snider and after seeing his results I have no interest in it at all. If Blackhorn 209 wasn't so expensive I would likely use it.

its not about being loyal to BP its about being safe you are dealing with a really weak action(yours is not even a mk3) that uses a barrel from a p1853 Enfield and depending if you are using 24ga shotshell brass or not it could lead to case head separation. blackhorn 209 is also a smokeless equivalent for black powder should only be used in modern inline muzzleloaders do yourself and the gun a favor and get some black powder or pyrodex clean up for real BP is nothing more then some hot water and a few patches
 
Back
Top Bottom