Bullet suggestions

powdergun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I shoot a savage ML with black sabots and Hornady XTP's. There have been a few occasions in the past where performance was not so good. What bullets are out there that would work well in the savages and provide more consistent terminal performance than the XTP's.

I've stuck with the XTP's for many years because they are accurate in my rig but I'm thinking it may be time to change.
 
The barnes originals are good if you can get them,I've had good luck with other .458 dia. bullets like the remington 300 gr hps.
There's nothing wrong with the xtps, especially in the 300 gr. weight range.These are the .452 dia. Depending on the size of your bore, you may get away with plan black harvester sabots with the .458 dia. bullets , or you may have to go with the .458 sabots.
All of my savages prefer the heavier 300 gr. projectiles.
 
What are you using for powder?

If I understand the post correctly, is this the Savage 10ML?

If it is, i have used various powders including the smokless that "Savage" reccommends.

I have recovered many Sabots during my tests.
Many sabot bases rupture and blow gasses past the sabot during the fireing sequence.
This ruins accuracy! I have used 130-150 gr. Charges of triple7, but find they tend to create flyers on occasion. Probably due to sabot seal failure.
Dont want that to happen when your shooting at a 150+ class whitetail!
Esspecially if you have hunted for him for weeks, and or seasons. (been there-done that)
Luckily my sabot performed properly. But others didnt.


I just went back to triple7 and have had no problems since.

I now shoot 125gr. Of loose powdered triple7 behind either the XTP, or the FPB 300 gr. Bullets.

It kills deer,moose,elk, very well.
I hope my info was helpful.

Good luck and have fun!
 
Last edited:
Just spoke to a good friend who had a not so good result with an XTP tonight as well. After our discussion one common factor in each situation became evident. The accuracy and shot placement was fine but in all cases the range was over 150 yards. We tend not to take long shots with our muzzle loaders.

The XTP's perform like the hammer of Thor at 100 yards or less but at around 150 yrds the impact energy seems to drop significantly.

Have any of you had similar experiences ? Watching a few Shockey vids you'd think these things knock everything down with a bang flop at 300 yards:D
 
Making the assumption that the bullet you are talking about is the hollow point XTP.
The xtp has a BC of a flying coffee cup! Lol!
But normally does very well.
The velocity bleed off would be significant by the time the bullet travels that far.
But the diameter of the bullet alone should do some serious tissue displacement.

Maybe try the FPB bullets. They have a sufficient BC to maintain enough velocity, to initiate expansion at further distances (to a point).

Everything has its limits. It sounds like you found that bullets limit.

Also,sometimes, bad luck just happens in a streak.
But I find if you perservere and keep pushing/hunting, really good things tend to happen.

As far as the comment about Shocky shooting 300.
I know what you mean.

In reality, the camera crew can cut/paste/edit the video to death.
They might have gone through (shoot/wound) 2-3 animals before they get the footage they want.

In any event, good luck with your bullet selection/performance, and
Straight shoot'in you gunnuts!
 
I just went back to triple7 and have had no problems since.

I now shoot 125gr. Of loose powdered triple7 behind either the XTP, or the FPB 300 gr. Bullets.

It kills deer,moose,elk, very well.
I hope my info was helpful.

120grs of loose T7 or pyrodex etc is considered = to 3x pellets or 150grs
Do you think 125grs might be pushing it?
I shoot 120grs T7 which I find sufficient and I am even considering dropping to 100grs loose or 2x Pellets. Mr J. Shockey who has killed about everything with his Knight, TC Pro-Hunter "Endevour" shoots Nosler Partitions and 100gr charge. My hunting buddy and fellow CGN "Hakx" uses 90gr charge of T7 and equally killed as much deer as my 120gr charge. As for projectile, I've been shoosting the 250gr SST with Harvester E-Z Load Premium sabots, These group quite well from my TC 209x50 Endevour .
 
Thankyou for your concern huntsman.
I have been shooting this for a few years now. It performs well and pressures seem fine.

But recent circumstances are going to require me to lower the charge anyhow.
My shoulder(shooting shoulder) has some joint issues and Arthritis.

Ive got to shoot what my shoulder will tolerate.
I argree, a guy has to be careful, and I have very carefully worked my charges.

Take care you guys! Good shooting and hunting!
 
But recent circumstances are going to require me to lower the charge anyhow.
My shoulder(shooting shoulder) has some joint issues and Arthritis.

Same here, arthritis in right shoulder and left shoulder is buggered up from combat arms days (Cbt Engr w 1CER). Now I fix guns rather than shoot 'em ;)
Thank god for TC's usage of Limbsaver technology :D
 
The limbsaver idea is great, I agree.

The only time it can come back to haunt a guy(A.K.A. ME) is when I shot full charges of 45-70 in the Katadin barrel(20")! Lol!

Recoil is so severe it compressed the butt stock enough to just kiss my eye!

I havent had a rifle touch me like that since I was young and careless!

Over the years I have developed a habit of letting most rifles move (almost free recoil).
Bad habit if I pickup my big boys! Lol!
 
And those 45-70 charges were not really too stiff!
Imagine if had used a max. Charge! Ouch!

I dont shoot that barrel with heavy charges anymore!

I have been shooting triple7, with a 420gr. Cast bullet.
Much, much more fun!
 
The XTP's perform like the hammer of Thor at 100 yards or less but at around 150 yrds the impact energy seems to drop significantly.

I've never had this issue. Lots of bang-flops between my dad and I out to 200 yards with the savage 10ML and MLII using 250 XTPs in front of 42gr of 4759 and an MMP or hornady black sabot.
 
Back
Top Bottom