Buying a Percussion Muzzleloader from the U.S.

Buying a percussion long gun in the USA is not the same as buying a modern centerfire. In the US, modern (breechloading) guns can only be bought by US citizens but muzzleloaders, even modern replicas, are considered antiques. That means there is no restriction on a non-resident alien buying one and no BATF paperwork needed on the US side of the border to purchase or export it. However, the gun does need to be registered in Canada and duty needs to be paid. It's certainly do-able - a gun does not need to be in Canada for you to register it.

What you should do is contact Track of the Wolf and have them send you all the specifics of the gun you are buying - enough information to get it registered. Then you contact the Canadian Firearms Centre and register the gun as a newly imported firearm. When you have the registration certificate in your hand, presumably they can ship the gun to you. I'm not sure how that would work - have you talked to Track of the Wolf about it? Maybe they have sold percussion guns to Canadians before and already know what to do.

I brought in two percussion replica muskets about a year ago from Michigan, but I brought them in personally rather than having them shipped, and they weren't pre-registered. What happened was that I declared the muskets at the Canadian border and was sent to secondary inspection, where they took them into storage and gave me a receipt. When I got home I contacted the CFC and registered them. About a week and a half later I got the reg certs in the mail, drove back to the border crossing, showed them the reg certs, paid my duty and brought them home. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the registration certificates BEFORE going to the US to pick up the guns, that way I could have just paid the duty and brought them in at the border without the second trip.
 
What you should do is contact Track of the Wolf and have them send you all the specifics of the gun you are buying - enough information to get it registered. Then you contact the Canadian Firearms Centre and register the gun as a newly imported firearm. When you have the registration certificate in your hand, presumably they can ship the gun to you. I'm not sure how that would work - have you talked to Track of the Wolf about it? Maybe they have sold percussion guns to Canadians before and already know what to do.

I have not talked to TOTW yet,that was my next move. I wanted to see what opinions I got on here first.
 
i have got 7 inlines from all over the states all you need to do is register it here and send the card to the seller so he can ship the card and gun to you.{incase customs opens it. they only opened one of my shipments} .shipping is about $50 us and ship by USPS way less problems.the inlines i got weren't from stores {the one i did get from a store i had to ship to my sister and then she shipped to me because the wouldn't do it}
 
When you talk with the CFC agents about CDN registration of course they want to know the manufacturer. Tell them the gun does not have a serial number, unless it already does, and that it was built from a "T-O-T-W Kit" and by whom it was built. They seem to understand the kit idea. About 3 years ago that worked for me for the percussion guns I built myself and registered here - but I had to educate them about TOTW because they didn't have it noted in their system. The CFC will issue you a serial number with the stick - on label with your reg'n certificate.

Good luck
 
That's what this rifle is, it's not a factory made rifle.I might forget the whole thing,it sounds like a big hassle to me.

Try and find and Antique one then it can just be mailed right to you with no Lic or Reg hassels.
Track of the wolf lists Antique Percussion guns of all sorts for sale there kinda pricey tho.
Check the EE on CGN to the Black powder and antique EE
Sometimes theres some nice Antique ones list there to.

Haveing the real thing is more fun and they only seem to go up in value. :)

Buy a Brand new Repo and it goes down in value. + its a Hassel.
I dont sell Antique Rifles but lotsa guys do right here in Canada.
 
BTT.
So with the registry now GONE (YAY!) you can buy in the US, bring it over and just declare it like any other purchase, pay duty and be on your way?
Not breaking any US laws and once you declare it you are not breaking any Canadian laws either?
 
Does it still have to have an frt # or something, just to show its acceptable in Canada.ie; you couldn't bring an ak or such back of course but there are others that arn't allowed?!?
 
BTT.
So with the registry now GONE (YAY!) you can buy in the US, bring it over and just declare it like any other purchase, pay duty and be on your way?
Not breaking any US laws and once you declare it you are not breaking any Canadian laws either?

God it's nice to see that some things have gotten a little better since 2010. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom