Buying an antique firearm from the US

Piraci

Member
Rating - 100%
135   0   1
Location
Niagara
I've seen a few antiques online from the US I'd like to buy. They're definitely antique status in Canada. Problem is most don't want to ship to Canada. Is it possible to use a service like a freight forwarder for this? Or are there likely to be more hassles at the border than its worth? Thanks for any help
 
I've seen a few antiques online from the US I'd like to buy. They're definitely antique status in Canada. Problem is most don't want to ship to Canada. Is it possible to use a service like a freight forwarder for this? Or are there likely to be more hassles at the border than its worth? Thanks for any help

Even though our laws say it's not a firearm, the US may view it differently. You'll probably need to run it through an FFL down there. You may wish to contact the US State Department to see if it's ITIL controlled (as if any country would attack the US with antiques, other than Peter Sellers in "The Mouse that Roared"). Perhaps a Canadian importer would be able to bring this up for you.
 
Last time I checked you can send antiques freely both ways but they (US dealer) might not want the responsibility or risk IN CASE it isn't legal here (with our antiques laws having certain calibres exempt from the "antique status"). Its not their job to know our laws and usually won't chance it. Lots WILL send it, though. It is hit and miss.
 
If you live reasonably close to the border you can get it shipped to a Kinek point or a UPS store for a few bucks, pick it up, and drive it across the border yourself. I did this recently with a reproduction bayonet and went smoothly but you might want to call ahead for a firearm.
 
If you live reasonably close to the border you can get it shipped to a Kinek point or a UPS store for a few bucks, pick it up, and drive it across the border yourself. I did this recently with a reproduction bayonet and went smoothly but you might want to call ahead for a firearm.

With the Op being in Niagara, that might be a great way to do it:
- Make sure the US is good with that gun being moved - while in Canada, it's not a firearm (Firearms Act) unless used in a crime (Criminal Code), but if the US still considers it a gun, the FFL dealer will have to be involved. If so, the you can have the gun shipped to an FFL on the US side, and I've heard tales of the FFL actually driving with you to the border for the hand-off. If the US doesn't consider it a problem gun, a UPS store is the ideal method - I shipped tons of stuff to myself back in the day.
- After you leave the UPS store, open the box and peer inside, to make sure you have exactly what you have a receipt for (ie make sure it's an antique, and you have paper to prove that), then on first contact with our border guys, declare you have an antique firearm, for which you paid $xx, and hand the receipt. He'll direct you to park and they'll go through everything, then you should be on your way. (maybe have a trigger lock with you, and a hard case, have the gun locked up like a restricted before you get to the border, just to appease them.)
 
If they won't ship to Kanadastan don't buy it. Or.... get them to ship to ups in Buffalo or niagara. Bring it through the border yourself. Just make sure you claim it as bringing an antique.
 
I bought a M1860 Colt at the Gettysburg Civil War show years ago and I came back to Canada across the 1000 Island Bridge.
It took me over two hours because I did not know what to do.

Have a book or other reference material that shows that the gun is an antique.
Have the gun in a locked box in your trunk. (As suggested above ---a trigger lock would probably be a good idea.)
You will have to pay GST on the sale price. On the receipt have the seller indicate that it is an antique.

In my case I was unlucky to hit a junior customs officer (possibly a student) that did not know the difference between an antique revolver and a pee shooter.
 
If I'm not mistaken, anything made before 1895ish is considered an antique in the US and not subject to their gun laws. (Not certain on the exact year...)

Rick on Pawn Stars can only buy guns that are from before the magic date because he's not a gun store. (I know, not the best resource...) not entirely sure if that's Nevada law or US law though...
 
If I'm not mistaken, anything made before 1895ish is considered an antique in the US and not subject to their gun laws. (Not certain on the exact year...)

Rick on Pawn Stars can only buy guns that are from before the magic date because he's not a gun store. (I know, not the best resource...) not entirely sure if that's Nevada law or US law though...

Well yeah, you are a bit mistaken-ish, lol.

Any firearm made in 1898 or earlier is in an antique in the USA and considered to be a non-firearm by US federal law. Unlike regular firearms, US antiques can be shipped legally by mail, don't need FFL license for interstate shipping, can be exported without permit or license, etc., etc. There are state laws that may need to be considered if you are in one of the communist states like NY or CA.
 
Back
Top Bottom