buying pre-2010 CVA wolf bp .50 ... your input please

Rabadswompe

Regular
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Ferme-Neuve
Hi!

this gun is my 40th birthday gift to myself.

this will be my 1st bp rifle. I've shot a traditionnal hawken before... but that's it. I like the simplisity and easy of cleaning it seems to have (the wolf, not the hawken).

It still comes with the original box, low, very low round count (not that it can be verified). comes with scope and mounts. previous owner didn,t like bp, curent owner bought the gun, used it some, now it's been sleeping unused for 2 years. Price is realllly good... but price isn't everything now is it?

What do you know about the pre-2010 wolf (the one wich needs a tool to remove the breech plug). ... reliable or paperweight ?

I will watch for the serial number as there as been a recall. I'll also inspect the bore to make sure it's been well cared for.

i don't know if it is a magnum... I don't know if I'll be inclined to shoot more than 100gr charges... Deer here are in dense cover... 30 yards max.

I'm meeting with the seller friday at lunch time ... so if you can give me your input by thursday evening that will be great. I'll be more confidant about the deal with some education to back me up.

Many thanks
 
Last edited:
The fact that it requires a tool to remove breech plug.....meh....it's a muzzleloader and the recall was way before the wolf, you'll be okay. I haven't shot more than 90gr of powder in years in my inline and routinely connection critters way beyond 100 yards.

Good luck and have fun.

Hakx
 
Never used the Wolf, but I've had several CVA's and all were excellent. As far as a plug removal tool, they're no big deal. Not sure which one comes with the Wolf, but you can buy an aftermarket one that's about 2" long and easily fits in a pocket. When it comes to loads, unless you're using pellets, experiment with loads and powders. I've found that increasing powder load often gets diminishing returns, and often at the cost of accuracy. Most BP guns I've owned seem to be at their best accuracy/power match at around 70 gr., give or take.
 
I've got a circa 2002 CVA Hunterbolt (nothing as fancy as a Wolf). It did have the slotted breech plug (I think the Wolf has the hex head--Which is what I now use). Dump the factory tool and use a 12mm or 13mm (Sorry I can't remember) socket. I've shot 25 rounds in one range trip (with the hex head breech plug installed) 150gr Pyrodex pellets; Federal 209A primers. I just swabbed the bore, no breech plug cleaning and had no issues.

Lots have been said about CVA's--most of it negative. Sure it's not the easiest or most convenient muzzle loader, but it works.
 
On a .50, anything over 100 grains is a waste, and can even begin to lower velocities. As has been said, best accuracy is usually around 70 grains or so, adding more will bring some additional velocity, but not much. The beauty of bp rifles is they are big. A half-inch hole through an animal does wonders, even without the massive shock of velocity energy we are so used to in modern rifles. As well, those pure lead projectiles at lower velocity tend to out-penetrate modern jacketed bullets, and deform quite well. I am not personally a fan of inlines, though I must admit I used one to take my only smokepole deer, and it performed well. At the ranges you are talking about hunting, I would recommend you stick with full-calibre bullets, like Buffalo bullets or T/C maxis or the like, and stay away from the sabots. The sabots are fabulous for longer shots, due to the carrying qualities of the higher-BC bullets, but nothing hits so hard as a 350-500 grain .50 lead bullet at closer range - no blood-shot meat, no bullet failures. As far as the breechplug tool, I wouldn't sweat it, they tend to be very simple, just a rod or tube with a wide slot in the end, they can be made quite easily if it gets lost or you want spares.
 
thanks guys ! if its clean I'll take it.
I'm now reassured and confident.

:)

Take it out and fire a bunch of rounds before you buy one. My buddy has one and he had a lot of misfires. He took it back to the dealer and it went out to a local gunsmith. Still an occasional misfire so he started troubleshooting and found it was light primer strikes. With the breech plug screwed out about 1/16" it would work fine. He contacted CVA and they told him to just keep doing what he was doing and there would be no problem. He put it back in his safe and said he wouldn't sell it to anyone else because of the problem. He lost 2 really nice deer because of this problem and bought a Thompson Center instead.
 
Hi all... the gun is now in my safe.

Will take it to the range in spring (range is snowed in right now).
I grabbed 295gr (i think) powerbelts and 50gr whitehots... the only primers that were available where I stopped were 209 CCI...

what would bew THE primer brand to look for?

Thanks
 
Don't discount loose pyrodex or 777. Pellets are convenient but expensive by comparison. Try different bullet combos too as powerbelts suck the weepy brown eye. I have never found any real difference in primers. I run whatever is on the shelf when I by powder.

Hakx
 
Back
Top Bottom