Buying Reloaded

jtysonm

Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
The Big Smoke
Hey Guys,

I think this belongs here because i'm not the one doing the reloading.

I have never shot reloaded ammo. I was wondering what peoples opinion's were on purchasing reloaded ammo?

Thanks in advance.

JTM
 
Hey Guys,

I think this belongs here because i'm not the one doing the reloading.

I have never shot reloaded ammo. I was wondering what peoples opinion's were on purchasing reloaded ammo?

Thanks in advance.

JTM
i have been handloading for 25yrs and never had a problem..i would not buy someone elses reloads, to many things too go wrong with quality control....ie double charge, or no charge at all....both could be dangerous too the gun,or worse you...If you know the person who is a confident reloader,and you trust his work, Then go ahead and try some
 
If you look in the dealers section, you will see a few dealers for custom reloaded ammo. Their prices are pretty good. The usually only load pistol cartridges but some used to do a few rifle cartridges, like 223 and 308.

I don't know about Canada but the US armed forces use quite a bit of reloaded ammunition for practice purposes. There was a company in Canada that used to sell the 5.56 stuff commercially under the trade name "Trooper". I used to shoot a lot of it. It cost me less than I could reload it for. It certainly didn't make a rifle a tack driver but it would group into 2 inches out of a Mini 14. It did much better in a Remington Custom Shop M700, usually under an inch at 100yds.

The US army supposedly had issues with the Canadian reloads. I don't remember the whole story nor the outcome.
 
Buy reloaded ammo only from large reputable companys. Wolf comes to mind.
Don't buy reloaded ammo from joe blow. Because one could blow up in your face.
On second though buy a reloading press and make your own its not that hard to do.
 
I don't know about Canada but the US armed forces use quite a bit of reloaded ammunition for practice purposes. There was a company in Canada that used to sell the 5.56 stuff commercially under the trade name "Trooper".

The US army supposedly had issues with the Canadian reloads. I don't remember the whole story nor the outcome.

I'd like a cite for this nugget. To the best of my knowledge, the only association between the collective armed forces of the US and reloaded ammo are the numbers of commercial reloaders buying up once fired GI brass.
 
Buy reloaded ammo only from large reputable companys. Wolf comes to mind.
Don't buy reloaded ammo from joe blow. Because one could blow up in your face.
On second though buy a reloading press and make your own its not that hard to do.

Absolutely! I actually heard a guy brag that his handloads were so "good" that they damaged various rifles!!!!

He must've been drunk to admit something like that.
 
ive bought and shot thousands of the commercial reloads (bdx and now that ive moved, custom reloading) works great and cheaper than everything else. now that im set up to reload i buy it instead of buying brass when my stuff starts wearing out
 
If you look in the dealers section, you will see a few dealers for custom reloaded ammo. Their prices are pretty good. The usually only load pistol cartridges but some used to do a few rifle cartridges, like 223 and 308.

I don't know about Canada but the US armed forces use quite a bit of reloaded ammunition for practice purposes. There was a company in Canada that used to sell the 5.56 stuff commercially under the trade name "Trooper". I used to shoot a lot of it. It cost me less than I could reload it for. It certainly didn't make a rifle a tack driver but it would group into 2 inches out of a Mini 14. It did much better in a Remington Custom Shop M700, usually under an inch at 100yds.

The US army supposedly had issues with the Canadian reloads. I don't remember the whole story nor the outcome.

First I've heard of US Military using reloads. I would like to know your source for this as well.
 
Guys, I may have to eat that statement. I will admit it is an honest mistake if I am wrong. I have a memory in the back of my head about this. I could very easily be mistaken and I apologise sincerely if I am.

I have sent several emails to people that will or should be able to clarify my statement.

My memories may be getting confused with a plant in Brazil that I visted in 1976 that was reloading ammunition for several South American countries, including Brazil for use by their militaries.

Sometimes, the information just all blends together. I will get back to this thread with what I've found as soon as I get some replies.

Again, if I'm wrong and I'm not admitting to it yet, I will issue a sincere apology.
 
There was a Canadian company (?) Centaure (?) that did "factory" reloads back in the mid 1980's? I shot their 223 55 gr stuff. This stuff was very good in my experience. I was told various law enforcement used it for training purposes. Don't know whatever became of them.
 
Back when I packed on duty we used Centaure reloads for practice. Lots of FTF. Don't know if it was hard primers or what but I was not impressed.

It is worth noting that the Explosives Act allows individuals to manufacture ammunition (handload) for their own use only. Selling or giving away handloads that have not been submitted to NRCAN for testing and approval is a federal offense. The pictures above show why this policy exists.
 
Sometimes, the information just all blends together. I will get back to this thread with what I've found as soon as I get some replies.

Again, if I'm wrong and I'm not admitting to it yet, I will issue a sincere apology.

Don't panic. We've all recalled a memory that in the cold light of day, likely was in error. The older the memory is, the less we question it.

My father retold a story about his grandfather, who'd been in the British Army. Dad retold that he was a boy soldier in the Boer War, and served in WWI and WWII.:confused:

He was shocked when I suggested he needed to get out a calculator and re-evaluate that belief.
 
Well I will sincerely apologise for my statement about the US military using reloaded ammunition. I received half a dozen email replies to the folks I queried in the US and there was only one that had ever heard anything even remotely similar. He told me the US Army had looked into the possibility but never to his knowledge acted on it beyond that. He did say that their international and inter services target teams will sometimes reload their ammunition but it most definitely isn't done by a commercial loader.

Again, I apologise. I should know better than to rely sole on a faltering memory.

Centaur was the company and it did supply milsurp spec reloads of 5.56 to police forces and some security companies. Their ammunition was all done on surplus cases they had procured so that they could stay within milspec stipulations. Their 5.56x45 was loaded to around 57,000 psi. I'm willing to bet that's where the brain fart came from. Thank you very much for remembering the name zuperman. It means a lot.
 
Centaur was the company and it did supply milsurp spec reloads of 5.56 to police forces and some security companies. Their ammunition was all done on surplus cases they had procured so that they could stay within milspec stipulations. Their 5.56x45 was loaded to around 57,000 psi. I'm willing to bet that's where the brain fart came from. Thank you very much for remembering the name zuperman. It means a lot.

I thought that these might be the guys (Centuare) that you were thinking about:cheers:

I have brain farts all the time, which is why I stay away from open flames:D
 
Back
Top Bottom