calling all colt SSA expert

esquif

Official French Facilitator
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
West Island
ok i just got a colt SAA dated 1893 in 44-40. i need to replace all parts since i got a bare frame plus barrel. Can i just buy a replica sold by mastar

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-Chaparral/1873-Rev.shtm
or more probably
http://www.marstar.ca/gf-pietta/pietta-1873-SAA-1st-Gen.shtm

and swap all (most ) parts ?
 
This isn't a particularly helpful answer.... but I know that there aren't any repro cap and ball colts currently available that will directly transfer to the originals... from that I would guess it's the same with the SAA.
 
The original SAA was made in three different generations, and all parts do not interchange between generations. You need to get parts made for your generation of revolver.

The Marstar site says their Pietta made SAA can interchange parts with the original SAA. I have no idea personally if this is true or not, but again it will depend on which generation they are talking about.

I bought 1st generation parts from Peacemaker Specialists in california. Good stuff.
Also check Brownells and Numrich Gun Parts Corp.
 
You might also check with Colt:
http://www.coltsmfg.com/ShopOnline/tabid/62/orderby/name/CatID/42/currentpage/1/Default.aspx
 
I bought 1st generation parts from Peacemaker Specialists in california.

This is who I dealt with, great parts. The Pietta may be a good way to go if they are infact interchageable.

IMO you should get a .44special cylinder and have it changed to antique status. 44-40 bore diameter is .427" 44mag .429". Load you own and size the lead bullets smaller.
 
Most of the the Italian stuff won't work without a lot of screwing around...
As for Colt parts, I believe a some of the 2nd generation parts will work, but 3rd will not.
The 44 special idea that 41 Colt mentioned, sounds like a real good idea.
 
Dixie Gun Works used to carry a wide selection of SAA replacement parts. Haven't check their site for a while, but it may be worth a look. I know they used to have all internal parts, barrels & cylinders available.
 
Back
Top Bottom