There seems to be some interest in Cannons here lately so here is my latest project.
Someone dropped this cannon off at the scrap yard where I work so I got it at a good price ( $1.70/Lb ). The barrel is made of red brass and the wheels are aluminium with red brass spokes the carriage is oak . It is home-made but well built and at present it is a non shooter as it is only bored out (.50 inches) to just in front of the trunnion. A hole was bored through the barrel to insert the trunnion which is a loose fit.
I am thinking of silver brazing the trunnion in place then boring it further and then inserting a stainless steel liner which would be bored out to about .36 Cal. or if that is too thin then .32 Cal both of which I can cast round balls for.
Here are some pictures:
Someone dropped this cannon off at the scrap yard where I work so I got it at a good price ( $1.70/Lb ). The barrel is made of red brass and the wheels are aluminium with red brass spokes the carriage is oak . It is home-made but well built and at present it is a non shooter as it is only bored out (.50 inches) to just in front of the trunnion. A hole was bored through the barrel to insert the trunnion which is a loose fit.
I am thinking of silver brazing the trunnion in place then boring it further and then inserting a stainless steel liner which would be bored out to about .36 Cal. or if that is too thin then .32 Cal both of which I can cast round balls for.
Here are some pictures:


















































