Cannons in Canada

To me a full size would be a 6 or 12 pounder, such as the US Civil War 12-pounder "Napoleons". They make them in the States and people fire them, but what the laws are here, I have no idea. You're talking serious danger here so you need a trained crew and lots and lots of room!
 
...and LOTS of money, too.

The last 12 pounder WoNA piece I saw for sale in WV, complete with all serving tools and a beautiful replica limber/charge and shot store and a horse tack set for a six horse team, went for $125,000.

Apart from paying the six man crew, undertaking the correct training and the time it takes to come up to the safety in the workplace standards of modern-day safe canoneering, it cost around $30 a shot, too.

A rich man's pastime, of that there is no doubt.

tac
 
To me a full size would be a 6 or 12 pounder, such as the US Civil War 12-pounder "Napoleons". They make them in the States and people fire them, but what the laws are here, I have no idea. You're talking serious danger here so you need a trained crew and lots and lots of room!

Oh ya; the one in my posts is (as I understand it and I may be wrong) technically classified as a mortar; it is based on a civil war piece that was drawn by hand and horse. I've forgotten the name of it but I'll get it and post it.

Still a heckuva lotta fun - and LOUD. Can be heard across the valley.
 
Funnily enough you can see antique cannons on alot of the gun sale sites reasonably regularly, which is how I got mine. There was just a beautiful two pounder on gun broker for 8k US. Gunstar in the UK has some good ones from time to time aswell.
 
be careful when buying, many brass are good for loud bang but I would not recommend firing a projectile from it, check the bore full length and see if its cast or machined, there is a formula for wall thickness required for a specific bore size, have to see if I can find it
 
A friend of my dads built one that. Shoots golf balls, it uses an old hinge break 12 gauge shot gun cut off and welded on the end of a long pipe, a little wadding packing and drop in a golf ball pack it in and very cool. Reasonably fast shooting gun, I will get some pictures the next time I am over there, Thinking about building one myself.
 
I managed to buy a 5ft long 6pounder, and will just say, when you get into that size, moving, and storing something that weighs that much can become a pain. Anyway quite a few makers online, and somewhere there is a website that specialists in just cannons, but I forget the address.

You didn't happen to get that cannon in the thorsby area did you? I made up a few back when I was machining in Leduc and was always curious what happaned to them and that length/bore size rings a bell.

To answer the OPs question, as long as the powder charge is separate and the ignition is a fuze or linstock, there are no restrictions to cannon ownership on Canada. You could make a 3 foot mortar and set it up in your cornfield for all anyone cares.

Once the ignition source and powder charge in either a shell, or bag charges and primer in a breach loading gun, long gun rules apply. The authorities will be far more concerned with you making a table top breach loading cannon that fires 32 smith and Wesson, out of a 9 inch long barrel, then they would about you building a coastal bombard in your back yard.
 
Last edited:
You didn't happen to get that cannon in the thorsby area did you? I made up a few back when I was machining in Leduc and was always curious what happaned to them and that length/bore size rings a bell.
Afraid not, mine is a early 1700s private gun, as opposed to military origins.
 
Back
Top Bottom