Cap and ball point of aim

Brutus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
118   0   1


Well, as you can plainly see it worked just fine! This one cylinder with edit: Slix Shot replacements and the very first attempt using Remington #10s.
Absolutely no hickups or jamming occurred. Cocked and shot it six times without any fuss or bother! yah....
However I suspect the cylinder that accompanied this New Model Army was the actual original.
Peter of Rusty Wood got this thing rebuilt for me as I provided him this mostly parts gun project.
One little tiny hitch, it does not like to shoot the Uberti spare cylinders, even though lockup and timing appear to be just fine.
I suspect it is a nipple issue. But of course even a handy nipple wrench means nothing when you belatedly discover the thread patterns do not match. lol

Hey, it worked with the expertise of Peter so I have little to complain about.
Just like Elmer Keith points out in his book Sixguns, these old revolvers hit really high versus point of aim at 20-25 yards.
Belt bucket hold indeed!
I wonder if historical reproductions of this Remington and the Colt new copies hit high as well? I know my ROA Vaquero model hits much closer to regular point of aim at this same distance, but I have no other frame of reference folks.

Anyone that can add anything that this new owner could have missed??

PS: Mooncoon, NorthCoast and Skinny! Lets hear it fellas.
 
Last edited:
It is good to see that you are shooting a Remington pattern. My brother shoots a Pedersoli clone of the Remington in 44, and I shoot the Uberti clone of the Remington in 44 cal.

I prefer them to the Colts. I think they are a stronger firearm. To load, I use a small loading press and take the cylinder out of the firearm each time.

I find my Uberti likes Remington caps. With the Remington caps it never misses a beat. Unfortunately, Remington caps are hard to find here, so I often use CIL. With the CIL, I sometimes, once every 24 shots, have a cap that does not fire. I just line it up again, and the cap fires on the second hit.

I practice shooting at 25 yards and fnd it quite accurate. Maybe an inch or two high, but not much.

Kevin
 
Nice job on restoring the Remington to shooting condition, for me having a shootable gun and being able to hit where I aim are two different things.
Most of my handgun shooting is done at 7 meters and even at that range my groups are not spectacular but I am working on it.
The last cap and ball gun that I shot ( 1862 Police .36 cal.) was hitting high and to the left but with fixed sights there is nothing I can do about it without disfiguring the front sight and/or grinding the hammer.
 

56 shots through this Ruger today. One spare Classicballitx cylinder with Tresos was faultless throughout.
At round 48 or 49 I was pushing the limits already loading 45 grains of FFFG without a wad under a round ball.
The disintergrated cap jammed up the action pretty good.
The one load that showed some promise was 40 grains of powder with the Ox Yoke wad.
 

I can guarantee that all the closer shots to centre were from the 40 grain FFFg load with the felt wad.
Some of these much lower shots were taken at 50 meters.
IRC, some other shots were with 45 grains of powder and anything resembling accuracy all but disappeared.
I then moved closer with some successes at 25. But the best shooting was at 17 yards today.
More work needed here!
 
Back
Top Bottom