Cap n ball questions

Engines

New member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, hope quarentine is treating everyone well, so i just recently got into black powder shooting as the 1851navy is one of my favorite pistols of all time from a look and feel standpoint. I find though that when shooting at the range, after a couple of cylinders they get so gummed up that i can barely fire them. I'm currently running two pietta replicas, one in .44 steel frame and one .36 griswold replica. Im running pyrodex p and cci primers. I would love to get some advice from someone with alot more experience than I on firing these beautiful revolvers reliably.

Thanks in advance!
 
Are you running lubed wads or lube on the cylinder mouth covering the bullet?
Some grease on the cylinder axis helps too. I've found the Colts usually run longer than the Remington 1858 but taking it down, removing the cylinder and wiping the fouling out after 3 or 4 cylinders helps with either.
 
What vagrantviking said....Also: Ballistol works very well to keep bp fouling soft. A light spritz on the front of the cylinder and arbour every few cylinders, keeps fouling manageable. Mixed with water, it also works well for cleaning bp fouling on firearms, after shooting. Also leaves a light protective coating of oil, behind(Ballistol is a mineral-oil based lubricant).
You can also use vegetable oil. In another thread, Fingers284 mentioned that he uses Canola oil....a drop or two on the ball after loading. Plus, a few drops on the cylinder arbour, kept his revolvers running smoothly.
For some highly informative videos on cap and ball revolvers in general, be sure to check out: duelist1954. Host Mike Beliveau provides a wealth of knowledge and experience on the topic. Well worth a look.
 
Last edited:
Engines: For your interest. I just looked at the duelist1954 site. One of his latest videos demonstrates how to load a cap & ball revolver. May be useful. Mike also has detailed videos on lubricating and cleaning bp revolvers. These will be archived...so a bit of a search is required.

Edit: Just finished watching Mike's c & b revolver loading video.. Great tutorial! Very informative.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom