Cap'n'ball Revolver questions

Barnaby

Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello, I am pretty new to this forum and i am looking for someone who can help me out with a few things. I have been looking to get an antique Remington 1858 "new army" or one of the many colt models out there from 1850's-60's. I was going to buy a repro but they aren't considered antiques for a reason I don't quite understand. Anyways i was wondering how much someone would have to cough up to get one in decent, firing condition. Unless I am overlooking something about the Repro's but im pretty sure i am not. Also, would one know where there is a place to get these antiques online or something, in Canada if possible. Thanks
 
1858 Remmys go from $1200-2400 depending on cond. etc.

I own a Remmy over the Colt just for the simple cyl switchin. But I think both are fine guns and I am looking for a Colt.

Not sure about your "antiques online" question, but there are generally a fair number right here on the CGN Equipment Exchange.(and some EXCELLENT members to deal with!)

I like the originals over the repros because I dont have to register an antique. If it wasnt for the stupid registration laws I'd still have a few antiques around, but Id have a whole bunch of new cowboy guns.
 
I am interested in old guns and fell in love with a Colt 1851 Navy, I can't afford a real one so I bought a reproduction, don't have it yet but they tell me it's coming. The thing I would check out is the cylinder maybe get it magnafluxed to see if it is cracked. You can destroy the value of a gun if it blows up or you could make up an interesting story about how it blew up and then sell it for 4 times what it's worth..............:D
 
lol thanks for the replies guys, I am kind of new here though would one happen to be able to tell me where this Equipment Exchange is? i would be very grateful, and diesal I want to get a remy over a colt too for that same reason, but with how hard it seems to be to find them ill take anything
 
I own a Remmy over the Colt just for the simple cyl switchin. But I think both are fine guns and I am looking for a Colt.
.

I think the biggest advantage of the Remington is that they are less prone to having fired caps fall down inside the frame and jam the hammer

cheers mooncoon
 
I think I read it somewhere on here, but wasn't that why you would see the cowboys in the movies pointing their cap and ball colts to the sky as they recocked? Keeping the caps from falling into the action?
 
Back
Top Bottom