Cast Lead 7.62x39 (??)

bluemike807

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
Im considering getting into casting my own 7.62x39 rounds, primarily so, come hunting season, I can yank the FMJ from some of my Czech surplus and hunt legally. That said - beyond that is there any real benefit for doing this? My understanding was those casings can't be reloaded. Is it on account of the corrosive primer? Is there a way to neutralize the corrosive agents so the cases can be re-used? Is it even possible do de-re-prime them?

Otherwise, my interest would be in moulding for people with similar (hunting) needs, who otherwise have to pay through the nose for softpoint ammo. Would there be any interest in buying cast lead bullets for this calibre?
 
They are berden primed rendering them unreloadable, And i think for a hunting round somone wouldnt mind buying a box of soft points, they are still cheaper than most hunting rounds, Or they could just buy a box of .311 bullets and replace the FMJ bullet.
 
Folks would need the brass, boxer primed empties, for reloading, and for cast i wouldn't use the full charges in Military loads, you could do that with jacketed for better results.
 
Not a hunter and I do not play one on tv, but I do cast for the 7.62x39

I cast mine gas checked and harden them through heat treating to stand the pressure. I am thinking that they are hard and probably would not expand, meaning that they would offer no advantage for hunting as a full metal jacket. Perhaps someone who hunts with cast could chim in and offer their opinion if a 30 Cal bullet will expand moving at around 2000fps.
 
Hunting with full metal jacket bullets is illegal in western Canada, I don't know about the eastern ones, so changing bullets is an option. The big problem with the military ammo is the steel cases if you try to reload. Too many things can go wrong I've been told. Berdan primers can be changed if you have the right tools to do it. I've changed bullets to soft points with no problems. I used 125 grain V max bullets in .311 diameter. Also gave me the opportunity to load the same amount of powder in each case.
 
No reason to cast your own, unless you want to. I simply change out the FMJ to a 125gr GameKing or a 150gr GameKing. If you go the route of the 150gr, remove at least 2gr powder to prevent excess pressure. That was what my rifles liked. Remember, that is what MYrifles liked. Try a couple and see how they react in yours.
I guess, while I have them open I should start checking powder weights as well. Make them that much more accurate.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom