I've fired a total of 22 rounds of this relatively new .22LR ammo so far.
I'm pretty happy with it so far, so I thought I'd do a little write-up in case anyone else is thinking about trying it.
When I first read about it, I thought that a pre-fragmented 40 grain hollowpoint bullet would look more like the Aguila SSS, it doesn't.
In the picture, from left-to-right are 2 examples of the 0074, the second one having been chambered in my rifle, then the CCI 0064, the "Quik-Shok" (it's basically a "Stinger" with the segmented (pre-fragmented) hollowpoint), then the CCI 0031 "MiniMag" and finally the Aguila SSS.
For the last 3 years I've been 'eliminating' marmots (groundhogs) that have been destroying property for some local landowners. The reason I got the "job" was I said that I could keep collateral damage to an absolute minimum (shooting around livestock, equipment and buidings) and I could stop the shot marmots from crawling under the buildings to die (and stink).
I started-off using CCI Stingers because I've used them before and wanted as much power as I could get.
The problem I had with the Stingers was over penetration, While the bullet mushroomed impressively it would also usually exit intact and with a fair velocity unless I would only shoot marmots that were facing me straight-on and on all four feet.
Then I discovered the CCI Quik-Shok. It became quite rare that I got an exit wound, and when I did it was only bullet fragments, sometimes giving a couple of separate exits.
There are 2 problems I have with the Quik-Shok, first is long distance and the second is noise.
The distance problem is that in some circumstances I could only get 75-to-100 m away before the lookout would see me and send everyone back under the garage. The Quik-Shoks would give me reliable hits but seemed to lack the energy to give me the really fast stops I need. So Bill Leaper built me a .221 Fireball... problem solved.
The noise problem is that even with the relatively long barrel on the 'Rinco the 1600fps of the Quik-Shok makes a fair bit of snap and one of the places I 'work' is very near some houses and it's a "public venue" that doesn't want to advertise the fact that they are destroying cute furry creatures (which eliminates traps or poisons). So I have to get there before it opens, which means I like to get there between 6 and 7am, so disturbing the neighbours is a consideration. So I need the really fast stops of a destructive hollowpoint to prevent the carcasses from ending-up out of reach under the buildings and I want a reduced noise signature (and of course I can't use a sound suppressor).
This winter I read about the CCI #0074, Subsonic Segmented Hollowpoint.
Scot MacDonald at www.cedarvalleyhunting.ca found some and sold them to me.
I fired the first 20 rounds getting my rifle sighted-in and letting it get a bit settled.
The ammo seems reasonably accurate in my Norinco (BRNO copy) bolt action rifle. I'll post more info when I actually get to stretch it out and I'm not in a hurry.
Largest 5 shot group is 0.635" at 25m.
The next 2 rounds were "fired for score" eliminating 2 marmots.
The bullet fragments were easily felt beneath the hide, about 2" apart.
The second marmot got two exit wounds about 4" apart!
So far I'm reasonably happy.
I'm pretty happy with it so far, so I thought I'd do a little write-up in case anyone else is thinking about trying it.
When I first read about it, I thought that a pre-fragmented 40 grain hollowpoint bullet would look more like the Aguila SSS, it doesn't.
In the picture, from left-to-right are 2 examples of the 0074, the second one having been chambered in my rifle, then the CCI 0064, the "Quik-Shok" (it's basically a "Stinger" with the segmented (pre-fragmented) hollowpoint), then the CCI 0031 "MiniMag" and finally the Aguila SSS.
For the last 3 years I've been 'eliminating' marmots (groundhogs) that have been destroying property for some local landowners. The reason I got the "job" was I said that I could keep collateral damage to an absolute minimum (shooting around livestock, equipment and buidings) and I could stop the shot marmots from crawling under the buildings to die (and stink).
I started-off using CCI Stingers because I've used them before and wanted as much power as I could get.
The problem I had with the Stingers was over penetration, While the bullet mushroomed impressively it would also usually exit intact and with a fair velocity unless I would only shoot marmots that were facing me straight-on and on all four feet.
Then I discovered the CCI Quik-Shok. It became quite rare that I got an exit wound, and when I did it was only bullet fragments, sometimes giving a couple of separate exits.
There are 2 problems I have with the Quik-Shok, first is long distance and the second is noise.
The distance problem is that in some circumstances I could only get 75-to-100 m away before the lookout would see me and send everyone back under the garage. The Quik-Shoks would give me reliable hits but seemed to lack the energy to give me the really fast stops I need. So Bill Leaper built me a .221 Fireball... problem solved.
The noise problem is that even with the relatively long barrel on the 'Rinco the 1600fps of the Quik-Shok makes a fair bit of snap and one of the places I 'work' is very near some houses and it's a "public venue" that doesn't want to advertise the fact that they are destroying cute furry creatures (which eliminates traps or poisons). So I have to get there before it opens, which means I like to get there between 6 and 7am, so disturbing the neighbours is a consideration. So I need the really fast stops of a destructive hollowpoint to prevent the carcasses from ending-up out of reach under the buildings and I want a reduced noise signature (and of course I can't use a sound suppressor).
This winter I read about the CCI #0074, Subsonic Segmented Hollowpoint.
Scot MacDonald at www.cedarvalleyhunting.ca found some and sold them to me.
I fired the first 20 rounds getting my rifle sighted-in and letting it get a bit settled.
The ammo seems reasonably accurate in my Norinco (BRNO copy) bolt action rifle. I'll post more info when I actually get to stretch it out and I'm not in a hurry.
Largest 5 shot group is 0.635" at 25m.
The next 2 rounds were "fired for score" eliminating 2 marmots.
The bullet fragments were easily felt beneath the hide, about 2" apart.
The second marmot got two exit wounds about 4" apart!
So far I'm reasonably happy.


















































