Chain fire front or back??

I might point out that the only reason to lube the cylinder is to keep the black powder fouling soft and lube the ball. The only way a chain-fire can happen is if a cap falls off. There is no way flame can get past a ball!


I have a handgun you can come and shoot and I'll prove that statement wrong in 1 shot. (well, actually it will be 6, but you will only pull the trigger once)

Perhaps all guns are different, but if I don't cover the ball in lube, I very reliably get chain fires. Lubing does nothing to affect my caps, so I'm pretty confident that in my gun, lube does more than soften fouling. Although that is a benefit also.
 
Whoa that sound serious. What Cal and what size balls are you using? I just read an article where a guy actually tried to get a chain fire with several different Cal of revolver and balls. I will see if I can find it and get permission to post from the author and the mods. It was very interesting and scientific. Basically his conclusion was that you will get chain fires from undersized balls, however if you use a slightly oversized ball and get the shaved ring the risk of a chainfire is neglegible. He also went on to show how the original instructions for BP revolver said nothing of covering the balls with anything. By far the risk of a chain fire comes from loose caps.
 
Sam Fadala, in his book "Black Powder Loading Manual" (p35), says that to stop chain firing you have to either use greased felt or plastic wads over the powder or use over-ball grease.

I owned and fired a .44 cal replica Remington Revolving carbine for 20+ years and never had a chain fire when I placed grease over top of the balls. A friend had a replica .44 Remington Army revolver and he too used over-ball grease to prevent chain-fires.
 
chain fire

you're on the right track-about 15% bees wax is what i use and although thick it does work, also use it when melted to pre-lube my patches for round ball long gun. i've never had chain fire either but having caps fall off due to recoil i think that even #10 might be too loose on older nippled originals. like doug i also squeeze them while installing.
 
Back
Top Bottom