Change in antique firearms policy?

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Anyone here attend the recent Ontario CFO's conference? Apparently Wyatt discussed rechambered antique firearms and said something about them not being considered antique anymore???? Apparently my gun club's VP has paperwork to this effect as well although I have yet to see it. Am I missing something or is someone yanking my chain?
 
CFC is still antique lettering 45 acp webleys and 38 sp 44 sp ect so i think there (whom ever you herd that from) just makeing up stuff or some CFO is reading it the way he wants to see it.
I cant see the RCMP would grant antique letters if things had changed or deregister restricted handguns to antique status once rechambered in calibers not on the list.
Of course if the antique handgun in question was rechambered to say 45 colt or 44 40 then they would be correct it would no longer be a perscribed antique.
 
Last edited:
Anyone here attend the recent Ontario CFO's conference? Apparently Wyatt discussed rechambered antique firearms and said something about them not being considered antique anymore???? Apparently my gun club's VP has paperwork to this effect as well although I have yet to see it. Am I missing something or is someone yanking my chain?


I'd guess someone is yanking your chain. If your club VP has "paperwork" then let's see it and not do the rumour thing based on hearsay evidence. This isn't facebook, supposedly.
 
Last edited:
I don't think a CFO has the authority to make an interpretation like this. The letter of the regulations is quite clear.
Doesn't mean that the regulations cannot be changed, though. As a matter of fact, regulatory change is entirely possible. If there is a change in government, regulatory change is entirely probable.
 
You guys are just confirming what I suspected. I have not seen the letter and I'm getting suspicious that someone has issues with me shooting antiques. Was anyone here at the conference??????
 
I don't think a CFO has the authority to make an interpretation like this. .

What a provincial firearms office can do is block a transfer I don't think they have any say in the classification of a firearm, so that if you owned a 32 cal Colt and rechambered and rebarreled it to 44 Russian, it is either the ID section in Ottawa and/or the registry in Mirimichi who would change its status. On the other hand, if you then parted out that gun, the province would block the transfer of the frame until it was either barreled and chambered to restricted or antique status. From experience they have blocked a transfer to me on the basis that the frame returns to its original prohib status if the barrel and chamber are removed. It is policy in BC (not law) that once a prohib status handgun has been changed to restricted, its frame will return to prohib if the barrel and cylinder are removed and that such a change in effect is creating a new prohib and it must therefore be destroyed or put into a non prohib status immediately

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom