Chaparral 1873 Revolver Issuses

ArmedGinger

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
88   0   2
Location
BC
Shooting the revolver all of a sudden it will randomly locks up. Can't #### the hammer. Only way to fix it is to pull the cylinder and and put it back it. Gun has had only about 100 rounds through it.

Trying to figure out what might be happening
 
I had a Chaparral from the M company and it would lock up.

The problem was a step in the recoil shield.

As long as the revolver was pointed down everything worked as it should.

Point the barrel up and the cartridges would slide back and catch in the recoil shield step that was not supposed to be there.

I sent it back and paid extra for a Pietta 73 copy.
 
I had a Chaparral from the M company and it would lock up.

The problem was a step in the recoil shield.

As long as the revolver was pointed down everything worked as it should.

Point the barrel up and the cartridges would slide back and catch in the recoil shield step that was not supposed to be there.

I sent it back and paid extra for a Pietta 73 copy.

I guess it's too late to send it back, Chaparral is out of business since 5 years now.
 
Pull your cylinder out. Take a look where the firing pin passes through the frame. There is a bushing mounted in the frame which guides the firing pin. If this bushing protrudes past the frame it will catch on the cartridges. File the bushing flush with the frame.
Cheers,
John
 
Back
Top Bottom