- Location
- Saskatchewan
Hey everyone, I have a question for some of you who may be familiar with shooting replica black powder rifles.
I'm looking to buy my first gun and I have always wanted a black powder rifle. I'm not terribly interested in any of the modern designs as fun as they may be but am looking to pick up a nice reproduction of a historic piece possibly new but preferably used.
I've whittled my options down to three guns and would love to get opinions on their pros and cons as well as the best manufacturers in terms of build quality and reliability and best supplier in terms of customer service and pricing. If I drop big bucks on a rifle I want it to last and look good doing it.
The three I have in mind are as follows:
m1861 Springfield in .58 calibre
m1863 Sharps cavalry carbine in .54 calibre
and finally m1853 Enfield in .577 calibre
(At a close 4th place is the 1863 Remington Zouave rifle)
I am a bit of a war history nut and the arms of the American civil war era have always fascinated me. I am also open to suggestions however. If you know of another gun along the same lines from a different country or time period I'd love to hear about it!
Thanks!
I'm looking to buy my first gun and I have always wanted a black powder rifle. I'm not terribly interested in any of the modern designs as fun as they may be but am looking to pick up a nice reproduction of a historic piece possibly new but preferably used.
I've whittled my options down to three guns and would love to get opinions on their pros and cons as well as the best manufacturers in terms of build quality and reliability and best supplier in terms of customer service and pricing. If I drop big bucks on a rifle I want it to last and look good doing it.
The three I have in mind are as follows:
m1861 Springfield in .58 calibre
m1863 Sharps cavalry carbine in .54 calibre
and finally m1853 Enfield in .577 calibre
(At a close 4th place is the 1863 Remington Zouave rifle)
I am a bit of a war history nut and the arms of the American civil war era have always fascinated me. I am also open to suggestions however. If you know of another gun along the same lines from a different country or time period I'd love to hear about it!
Thanks!


















































