Cleaning Live Ammo?

Tumble or not.......

Hi Slavex and Fishy,

I had a old reloading mentor tell me not to do it.......

Text from AccurateShooter.com.....

One of our readers asked: “Is it OK to clean live, loaded ammo in a vibratory tumbler?” The basic answer is NO, do NOT tumble live ammo in a vibratory tumbler. There are serious potential safety hazards that can result from tumbling live ammo. Since it is really NOT necessary to tumble loaded ammo, why take the risk?

Tumbling Can Alter Powder Burn Properties
The main reason to avoid tumbling loaded ammo is that tumbling can break down the powder kernels inside the case and/or alter the burn-rate retarding coatings on the outside of the kernels. This can alter the powder’s burning properties, with dangerous consequences. If you vibrate loaded rounds for a long time, you can both grind or shear the kernels and alter the kernels’ external coatings. Read the warnings on a can of powder, it says do not shake (for that reason).

While we are aware that some hand-loaders, particularly pistol shooters, tumble loaded ammo to remove residual lube or just to make their ammo nice and shiny, this is NOT a sensible procedure. RCBS and most ammo-makers specifically warn against tumbling live ammo in a vibratory tumbler. Hodgdon’s official policy is: “Completed ammo should not be tumbled. The powder will degrade and increase in burn speed.” (From Mike Daly, Customer Satisfaction Manager, Hodgdon/IMR.)

Consider this commentary from the Fr. Frog website:

Q. Is tumbling loaded ammunition dangerous?

Answer: “…Extensive tumbling can cause the breakdown of the powder grains. This would have two major effects. First, smaller grains will ignite more quickly than larger grains, and second the deterrent coating on the outside of the grains may be rubbed off and will be absent from any fractured edges which will cause the powder to burn more quickly raising pressures.

Tests run some years ago by a commercial entity did indicate that potentially dangerous changes in powder charge burning characteristics do take place after PROLONGED periods in either a vibratory or a tumbling cleaner.

The key word here is prolonged. Many manufacturers of ammunition do a final cleaning of their product either by tumbling or a vibratory process before boxing it for shipment. In no case is this allowed to exceed more than just a couple of minutes. The intent is not so much to “polish” but to remove any traces of contaminants which might in time leave marks on the finished product. There seems to be a consensus among the ammunition manufacturing engineers that a minute or two of vibratory cleaning has no discernable effect on burning rates, especially for loads that are compressed, or nearly so. However, all have emphasized the need for EXTREME CAUTION not to overdo the process.

They also pointed out that there is a considerable difference in effect on the powder charge depending on whether the process is by ‘tumbling’ or ‘vibrating’. It would appear that tumbling has less effect on the powder than vibrating, though this is mostly a matter of degree. The admonition to use EXTREME CAUTION to insure that the process never exceeds a couple of minutes applies equally to either process.”

Cheers,

Bill
 
I was in the same boat as you last week. I was given the gift of a bunch of old DA .223 (okay, 5.56). It was grimy after sitting in a dirty ammo box for years.

I wondered what to do and considered tumbling them too. I looked all over with Google and found dozens (maybe hundreds) of posts and articles about tumbling. Everybody had an opinion, or was sure to "know a guy", but none had any real evidence. Those that admitted to tumbling and shooting for years were simply ignored, while others that never tested it out were sure to go against them.

Ultimately I just said, "screw it" and just used a little simple green and some old rags to clean them. I got all the crap off, and now have a pile of clean, but admittedly tarnished cartridges. Do I care if the cases have little black tarnishes all over them?

NOT AT ALL.

These cartridges have proven to chamber easily, and won't affect the rifle or mess with my shooting. I will simply tumble all the case really well after I finish having fun shooting them.

P.S. Mine were well past steel wool even helping. They'll still shoot fine.
 
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER tumble clean loaded amunition !!!!!!!!!!!!

The tumbling action can break down down the size of the powder to almost dust and possibly increase the burning rate to EXTREME pressures.

Ammunition can be tanished and work just fine. As long as the case does not have barnacles attached........ Shinny ammunition does not make it work better.

Be safe............ DON'T DO IT !!!!!!!!!


Bill
Nonsense....The powder manufactures and several gun magazines have all debunked this myth.....Tumbling will not effect the powder.....
 
How badly corroded is this ammo? If its so bad you wouldn't want to shoot it after lightly cleaning, perhaps it shouldn't be used period? I've seen old ammo with white fuzzy leads and highly discoloured brass, and personally I wouldn't shoot it, even if I could polish it up. Obviously its a question of degree, but if some steel wool won't return the exterior dimensions of the brass to shootable condition, it shouldnt be shot. If the only concern is the color, why should it matter if its not shiny like gold?
 
Sounds as though I have the same 7.62x25 ammo. It actually makes your hands smell after handling.

While I have not tumbled these rounds, I have tumbled both 9mm (factory and IPSC Major) and 10mm(hot) rounds before firing with no issues.

As the 7.62x25 ammo is of European manufacture circa 1951, moved and transported how many times prior to warehousing, moved and transported to eastern Canada, then shipped via Canpar to the west coast, I would have to believe powder shear/abrasion would be similar to several hours in the tumbler. I have fired hundreds of rounds of this ammo with no ill effects.
 
Back
Top Bottom