Colt 1860 Army Problem

Makko_Shark

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Ajax
Hello All,

I am hoping to pick someone's brain ;) I have an Uberti Colt 1860 Army replica that is about 36 years old. Recently the hammer would slip from full #### to half #### on occasion. The same night the hammer started to slip the trigger spring also broke. I replaced the trigger spring and now the hammer slips constantly, it is almost impossible to keep the gun cocked. I am assuming the tang on the hammer that contacts the trigger is worn, is there any way to correct this, or am I in the market for a new hammer?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
 
I have owned a couple of 1860s. Replace the trigger, hammer, bolt and hand. Although it may be just the trigger and hammer wear, I have seen wear on the bolt and hand as well.

Here is a link to VTI for gun parts for the 1860. I have ordered from them frequently in the past. Great customer service. Parts should be shippable to Canada as BP here in the US are not classified as firearms.

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=Uberti+1860+Army

Good luck......
 
Replace

Although you can re cut the angle on the slipping parts the heat treating required for hardness is an art that requires an expensive craftsman.

Much easier and cheaper to buy new parts.

Dixie Gun Works also has the parts, and last I heard they still ship to Kanada.

:ar15:
swingerlh.gif
 
File the hammer notch sharp again or alternately sharpen the tip of the sear if that is worn and case harden it with kasenite. Your initial description does cause me to wonder if the trigger spring is pressing properly and adequately on the trigger, to engage the sear. You have to take the various parts out and examine them to determine if the sear/hammer notch is/are worn or if the spring is the culprit

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for your replies everyone, I was able to weld a bead on it and that seems to do the trick. I will found out this weekend when i go shooting.
 
Back
Top Bottom