Colt 1892/DA .41LC Ammo

cz52

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Just curious what ammo do people shoot thru their double action Colt 1892/New Army-Navy. I know some shoot black powder, others shoot mild smokeless loads. I know the period around the mid 1890s is when Colt switched to smokeless for the SAA, but could find no exact data for the Colt 1892.
 
Sold mine but when I did have it I cast a hollow base slug and used fff Goex. Was an accurate load and cleanup is less painful than having the cylinder pop.
 
What are the limitations of the frame in regards to smokeless? Can it handle more modern .41LC?

I wouldn’t push it to hard and maybe not blow up the gun but stretch the metal over time or loosen things up. If loading your own Ia recommend using hallow base bullets and slowly working up the smokeless load until it has enough power to expand the hollow base bullets and then stay there.. I got bullets from budget shoooters supply on cgn and used trailboss powder
 
A CGN superstar (I mean that seriously & with respect) sent me an 1892 "DA Colt" with a .38 Special barrel; it ate the Remington .38 Special cartridges with 158-grain round-nose lead bullets (but it jumped around a lot, so I switched to reloading at a lighter recipe).... :yingyang:
 
Back
Top Bottom