Colt 1892 question

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Quick question - with the hammer down and trigger released, should the cylinder be able to be rotated in the usual direction by hand? It isn't loose, but I'm used to cap and ball revolvers where the hammer impedes the rotation.

Also, there is a slight amount of play when the hammer is cocked, but it's pretty much gone when the trigger is pulled. Is this standard?
 
The cylinder should not rotate unless you have the 1889 model. The bolt will stop it from rotating on the later models. Hold the gun in your left hand and you should see the bolt fit into the slot in the cylinder on an 1892 and later (or converted 1889) model.

When I #### mine, there is some side-to-side play in the cylinder, alot less so at rest, but when the trigger is pulled and held down it tightens up. This has to do with the other "bolt" on the trigger engaging, you can watch it when you work the action of the gun.
 
Solved that problem - the little bolt is a bit worn. Easily enough fixed. I'm amazed how nice the gun is actually. I'd expect more wear for an old gun. Next step - make up some ammo!
 
Back
Top Bottom