I have some original and lots of reproductions of Colt open top revolvers and would like to share some experiences shooting the various models that I have.
The earliest models that I have are the 1848 Walker and 1848 Baby Dragoon (reproductions), the Walker is a big heavy and powerful .44 Calibre gun that is best shot using two hands, the recoil is mild due to the weight. With a full chamber the ball will move slightly above the speed of sound (1135 FPS). The Walker has a loading lever catch close to where it pivots on the frame and even mild loads are enough to cause the lever to drop and the ram then gets jammed into one of the chambers making indexing to the next shot awkward. I bought an unfired gun and found that with the first 100 or so shots the gun would gum up after 3 or 4 shots making the cylinder difficult to rotate. This problem seems to be going away the more I shoot it and now I can get the full 6 shots off without having to rotate the cylinder by hand. I just picked up another Walker which had been shot a lot and after fixing the bolt spring it shoots just fine except that the lever still drops. The large size of the Walker reduces the incidence of caps jamming up the action so that is not a big problem.
I will add to this thread later with some other open top models that I have.
The earliest models that I have are the 1848 Walker and 1848 Baby Dragoon (reproductions), the Walker is a big heavy and powerful .44 Calibre gun that is best shot using two hands, the recoil is mild due to the weight. With a full chamber the ball will move slightly above the speed of sound (1135 FPS). The Walker has a loading lever catch close to where it pivots on the frame and even mild loads are enough to cause the lever to drop and the ram then gets jammed into one of the chambers making indexing to the next shot awkward. I bought an unfired gun and found that with the first 100 or so shots the gun would gum up after 3 or 4 shots making the cylinder difficult to rotate. This problem seems to be going away the more I shoot it and now I can get the full 6 shots off without having to rotate the cylinder by hand. I just picked up another Walker which had been shot a lot and after fixing the bolt spring it shoots just fine except that the lever still drops. The large size of the Walker reduces the incidence of caps jamming up the action so that is not a big problem.
I will add to this thread later with some other open top models that I have.





















































