Colt thunderer good,bad,ugly ?

roseau river rat

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
So I located a good used thunderer 4 digit serial number
So antique for sure in 41 long colt.
I havent had a look at it myself but from the description
It sounds really good and the price is also reasonable.
How strong are these revolvers ?
Can they handle mild smokeless loads or are they black powder only?
Are they a decent revolver or ?
Looking for an antique but I want to make sure I'm not
Wasting my money.
Thanks
Dan
 
Mechanically they can be a bit of a ordeal.
Often they are found out of order.
Not in the same category as a Webley or a number of other revolvers, from the standpoint of being reliable, trouble free shooters.
 
It needs adding that they feel like a medium frame at best.
They feel quiet small in my hand and my hands are not large.
If you have a mitt on you then maybe hunt up something more size-able.
 
I'm not concerned with the size as much as wether or not
It would be safe to shoot?
Bore is in excellent condition lockup is good
And the price is 650 bucks which seems quite reasonable.
 
Reasonable price for sure. They are very tiny to work on and you would need to make your own parts if it broke, and they are fragile actions. They feel small, like a S&W J-frame. I personally wouldn't recommend smokeless but if others have gotten away with it, perhaps, but be very cautious. The 4 digit serial on that one puts it at late 1870's, which is very old steel on a gun with thin cylinder walls.
 
I had one and it was in excellent condition, however if you have a problem with the action, it may be a real problem, they feel like toy guns and have many small parts inside. $650 sounds cheap.
 
yah i think ill pass on it then thanks for all the input.
its actually for sale in the gun library of the Cabelas store in Kansas if anyone else is interested.
i currently have a hold placed on it but i will call and cancel that on Saturday.
it can be viewed online.
Dan.
 
It's been refinshed and has flowers engraved, that's why it's so cheap. Still, i would never buy one of those guns again and wouldn't recommend them as a "shooter" antique.
 
still looks like a good price, but I wonder why it's only $629 and the other is over $1,000 - anyway I had one and sold it but it was mechanically excellent - still felt like one of the toy guns from the dollar store. You are better off with a Belgian bulldog or if you want to spend more, get a Webley or S&W in 44 Russian.
 
Back
Top Bottom