Conical Bullet - What is it?

Re3iever

Regular
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
Back in the winter I purchased a Uberti 1858 New Model Army cap and ball revolver (used), I also purchased a Kirst Konverter for the gun and I have shot .45 lc cartridges at my local range.

The outdoor range opened last week and I am getting prepared for my first time firing black powder.

Along with the gun came an assortment of bullets which the previous owner said could be used with the gun, the majority of them are .451 round ball which is ok according to the Uberti documentation.

However there is a quantity of conical bullets (see pics) - these obviously can't be loaded directly as they are too small for the cap and ball cylinder.

Are they suitable for re-loading in a .45 lc cartridge? Or should I be looking for a new home for these?

Thanks

Retreever

Picture 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i27ha2vuz...ullet.jpg?dl=0

Picture 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvpdh1f1ee...llet2.jpg?dl=0
 
They look like a revolver bullet but do seem on the small side. (A more accurate caliper with 3 digits resolution might be beneficial. Look for a sale at Canadian Tire)

If the diameter of the base is smaller than the nose it's probably for a cap and ball, just maybe not for this one. You're right that it should be around .450" or a bit bigger. Bullets for loading 45 Colt should be bigger than that too.

Only other thing I can think of is that they could be undersized for making paper cartridges but I've never researched that.

Round ball has always shot better for me in my cap and ball revolvers anyway so I have never put a great deal of time into shooting conicals. Not like we need the extra hitting power at the range.
 
They look like a revolver bullet but do seem on the small side. (A more accurate caliper with 3 digits resolution might be beneficial. Look for a sale at Canadian Tire)

If the diameter of the base is smaller than the nose it's probably for a cap and ball, just maybe not for this one. You're right that it should be around .450" or a bit bigger. Bullets for loading 45 Colt should be bigger than that too.

Only other thing I can think of is that they could be undersized for making paper cartridges but I've never researched that.

Round ball has always shot better for me in my cap and ball revolvers anyway so I have never put a great deal of time into shooting conicals. Not like we need the extra hitting power at the range.

Thanks VV
 
They look like a revolver bullet but do seem on the small side. (A more accurate caliper with 3 digits resolution might be beneficial. Look for a sale at Canadian Tire)

If the diameter of the base is smaller than the nose it's probably for a cap and ball, just maybe not for this one. You're right that it should be around .450" or a bit bigger. Bullets for loading 45 Colt should be bigger than that too.

Only other thing I can think of is that they could be undersized for making paper cartridges but I've never researched that.

Round ball has always shot better for me in my cap and ball revolvers anyway so I have never put a great deal of time into shooting conicals. Not like we need the extra hitting power at the range.

I think they are $16.00 regular price and $10 on sale.
 
Back
Top Bottom