Has anyone converted modern SXS barrels to percussion caps? The barrels on my 20 double are pretty bad and I an going to use a set of modern barrels to make the old shotgun shoot again.
I removed all the lugs on the bottom of the new barrels and started fitting them to the stock . They will need a bit of wood dressed to make them fit proper . The first problem is the breech plugs. I can not find new ones anywhere . It is looking like I will be making plugs from scratch. This brings a problem, as the chamber side walls are only .165 thick now. This doesn't leave much room for taping a 3/4 x 16 thread and making a shoulder to seal against at the front of the plug.
If someone has attempted this can you share how you addressed the plugs ? size you used? thread? etc and if you were able to purchase plugs or had to build them from stock.
Pete
I removed all the lugs on the bottom of the new barrels and started fitting them to the stock . They will need a bit of wood dressed to make them fit proper . The first problem is the breech plugs. I can not find new ones anywhere . It is looking like I will be making plugs from scratch. This brings a problem, as the chamber side walls are only .165 thick now. This doesn't leave much room for taping a 3/4 x 16 thread and making a shoulder to seal against at the front of the plug.
If someone has attempted this can you share how you addressed the plugs ? size you used? thread? etc and if you were able to purchase plugs or had to build them from stock.
Pete


















































