Cracked Arbor Pins

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Same colt pocket as asked about before - turns out it also has a crack in the arbor (pin?) where the wedge cut is. I'm pretty sure it would have to be replaced, and looking at schematics of the uberti's, those have removeable arbor pins....

I'm assuming they're pretty strait forward to remove and at worst I would have to have a new one made?
 
This pin threads into the frame from the front. It is prevented from turning by a longitudinal blind pin that enters from underneath the hammer. Look at the top of the end of the pin where it can be seen under the hammer.
Removing the pin can be an experience. It is unlikely that a pin from a repro will fit; these will be metric. Making a new pin is possible. I've done it. It is a bit of a tricky job.
 
The pins may also be a different diameter; I know they are relative to the 1851 navy. I think you are far better advised to make a new one on a lathe

cheers mooncoon
 
Here is the procedure:
Remove the original pin. This can be a bit of an adventure.
Carefully measure. Select a suitable piece of quality steel.
Using a lathe, turn the blank to size, cut the threads. Make sure the cylinder turns smoothly. Freely, without wobble. The barrel must fit closely. Fit to the receiver, cut to length. Contour the butt end to match the receiver.
Install the cylinder and barrel. Scribe the cut for the wedge on both sides. Now think about how the wedge pulls the barrel into place. Chain drill (or mill) the slot for the wedge, finish by filing. The wedge has to fit snugly, and pull the barrel into position. There has to be provision for take up of wear.
Rather than trying to refit a locking pin, I would use some Loctite.
 
Thanks for the info! I'm getting the info from a friend who's looking at it but doesn't have a working camera on him otherwise I'd have better pics. I was mainly worried that they were irreplaceable, or somehow fitted into the frame in a way that you would need to buy a completely new frame.
 
Back
Top Bottom