Damascus shotgun modern ammo convertion

papiloran

New member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Québec
I have a old lc smith double barrel shotgun in 10 ga with damascus barrels and I want to shot it with modern ammo. So I was thinking of convert it in a 20 ga. The adapter will reinforce the chamber, the size of a 20 ga is smaller than the barrel so not a lot of pressure inside the barrel and a 20 ga is alot weaker than a 10 ga.

Did you think that a safe way of converting it ?
 
Perfectly acceptable method of putting your old 10 back into service - of a sort. Your reasoning regarding the extra strength in the chamber and lower pressure in the barrel is correct as long as there is no severe pitting, dents or other damage in these areas. Of course, the result will be a VERY heavy 20 gauge gun. Browning made these adapters, called them "Skeeters", a company named gauge-mate made better ones. Any gunsmith could make chamber reducers, either removable or permanently installed, this idea is at least 150 years old.
 
I think that in order to get a good pattern you would be wise to use full length liners like Briley tubes. The down side is weight and cost. When the long gun registry came in, I tried bushing the chamber of a 12 guage gun to accept the 14 guage Greener Police shell, because that would allow the gun to be classified as antique. I gave up after a few shots because the pattern was so open. I realize that there are short tubes around 8 or 10 inches long but think the Briley tubes would be more effective.

In the final analysis I think you would be better to load black powder or Pyrodex shells or to buy another gun. You may be able to find smokeless loads in 10 guage that have low enough pressures to shoot safely in damascus barrels

cheers mooncoon
 
220 and infideleggwelder, as you believe that all damascus barrels are unsafe with anything except ( maybe) black powder ammo I will be happy to buy your otherwise fine old damascus barrelled doubles at somewhat over scrap prices - just to keep them safe of course.
 
Back
Top Bottom