DIY Slow Match

I tried soaking hemp rope in black powder dissolved in hot water and it did not have an awful lot of benefit. I have heard that soaking the hemp in lye first may help but have not become organized enough to try. A Swiss friend who shoots matchlocks a lot recommended lead acetate but apparently it is explosive and virtually unobtainable

cheers mooncoon
 
I tried soaking hemp rope in black powder dissolved in hot water and it did not have an awful lot of benefit. I have heard that soaking the hemp in lye first may help but have not become organized enough to try. A Swiss friend who shoots matchlocks a lot recommended lead acetate but apparently it is explosive and virtually unobtainable

cheers mooncoon

I wonder if my boiling it for a few minutes helped? I also tried twisted hemp rope and it did not work nearly as well. Braided seems to be the way to go.
 
I wonder if my boiling it for a few minutes helped? I also tried twisted hemp rope and it did not work nearly as well. Braided seems to be the way to go.

I had some cotton beading used as the core for a beaded edge on cushions but when I tried to buy more at a fabric store, all they had was synthetic. Not sure where you would find the braided rope used in the video. In its absence may braiding up cotton string might work

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom