Edit; Green River Penns. Rifle (pics up)

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
My gal decided to surprise me and I've a year or two's work ( at my pace anyhow) ahead of me.
A roughed out, fully inlet-ted Pennsylvania rifle showed up at my house for X-mas.
Bucheleplansrifle004.jpg

.60 caliber no less.
Bucheleplansrifle002.jpg

Anyone ever heard of this manufacturer?
Bucheleplansrifle005-1.jpg

It seems as though all parts are present. I'd guess it was a quite high end kit by the quality of the parts.
Bucheleplansrifle003.jpg

Oh and a smooth bore Snyder gun to keep it company
 
Last edited:
I am too lazy to dig through my library but he either wrote a book on recreating the american long rifle himself or in conjunction with Shumway

cheers mooncoon
 
I'm guessing it's a kit rifle.
It's a massive beast; 55" overall, bbl is 37" from the breechplug to muzzle.
Percussion type.
It was supposedly a very expensive unit when it was purchased.
It has the book that Mooncoon alludes to as well as the original diagrams for building.
Bbl still in the white.
 
A William Buchele rifle would have serious value.
Didn't know that he sold unfinished rifles for do it yourself.
Is the parts set Buchele style, as opposed to Buchele made?
 
The plans are for " Full scale Rifle by Wm. Buchele ---1966---"
There is a statement from ' The Hawken shop' in St Louis, Missouri dated 1981. Apparently the bbl is an 1 1/8".
Lots of silver and brass hardware. Several brand new shiny polished sidelocks , but none marked Buchele.
Actually there is about 12-16 sidelocks included, all old stuff. Remington, Henry & various others.
Edit; marked on the bottom of the Tang is 1 1/8 - 3/4 tang. L Adkins
 
Last edited:
He did write a book, titled Recreating The American Long Rifle, in cooperation with Peter Alexander and a guy named Shumway.
You should order it. You can get it from Track of the wolf. It's around $30 -$40. Good book.

Have you got any pics of your kit?

I'm building a Lancaster from Chambers Flintlocks.

I also have an 11 gauge fowler kit to build after the Lancaster.

Flintlocks have become my all consuming hobby. It's highly addictive. Be warned. :D
 
Wm. Buchele is one of the real heavyweights amongst contemporary custom m/l rifle builders. You have a real prize so take your time and build it to it's potential. The books already mentioned by others will help but the best of all, for detail, is Peter Alexander's recent 2nd edition of "The Gunsmith of Grenville County". The latter is all you will ever need and there is some fascinating history and other background information in it. TOTW has it for $39.95.
 
So... the only Buchele connection is his name on the set of plans.

The plans were a freebie, included with the book "Recreating the American Longrifle"

So...not so exciting.

Post pictures of the parts collection.

Cheers
Trev
 
William Buchele (1895 – 1977) is one of the gun makers featured in “Contemporary Makers of Muzzle Loading Firearms”, by Robert Weil.
Printed by Taylor Publishing Co., Dallas, Texas. 1980.
The book has examples of Buchele’s work from page 62 to page 71.
The Richmond Public Library in BC, had a copy.
 
Peter alexander's book is the best, as Ol' flinter says.

I wonder if you can find out where the kit came from?
 
I would wish that it's a Buchele, but I'm thinking not.
Although the original owners son ( father-in-law) said if he sold it for 300 $ now, it still wouldn't break even from the original cost in '81.
I was in grade 8 in '81 but if I recall 300 $ was a pretty fair piece of coin in '81.
It has spare parts in triplicate.
If someone needs something seen that is extra, make an offer, worst I can say is no.
The plans are a kinda cool addition as well.
It's got a good start on it, but I'm a little leary as to where to start. Hate to undo the work that is already done that all thumbs fumbling.
 
I would be interested in the animal inlays.

What are they made of and I have no idea what they are worth. Name your price.
 
It's a kit gun from 'The Green River Company' out of Duchesne , Utah for 250 $ US. Extra set trigger option for an additional 20.00. Premium 34" bbl option for an extra 67.00.
The twist is 1-60"
It's a Leman Indian Rifle Kit for either in .58 or .62
A finished rifle ran 850.00, that is big coin in '81!
Just found the reciepts :)
 
Last edited:
She (yer gal) is a keeper!

Pretty nice gift indeed!

Should turn into a pretty good smokepole.

Despite all the hopes that the name conjured up! :)

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom