Emil Eckholdt Drilling

jclayton

Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Salmon Arm
Gun show here last week and I acquired a drilling made by Emil Eckholdt of Suhl.
Top barrels are 12 gauge, 23/4 and the rifle is 9.3 x72R. Serial number is 7485.
would appreciate any information as to date of manufacture.



IMG_5018.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5012.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Its a beautiful gun!
I'm not an expert by any means but the German proof dates should be on the barrel flats with 3 or 4 digits, for instance 1229 would be December, 1929. A variation would be 12 over 29 with a horizontal line in the middle. I can't see in your photo. The Crown over the U shows its pre-1939 from my reference.
 
Care to diverge how much that cost yah? Shes purdy... I'd love one but i think I'll have to wait until the kids are out of college - and the youngest is two...
 
Thanks for the replies.
Emil Eckholdt worked from 1876 till 1928 and if he numbered his guns sequentially this is one of his later works.
I have a single shot rifle in the same caliber which was proofed in 1902. Also have a small quantity of factory ammo in 9.3 x 72R
I can find no marks that indicate the date it was made, but it might be as old as I am, 1925 or earlier
The previous owner seemed anxious to sell it at our show last week, the price kept going down from $3000.00.
By Sunday morning it was listed at $2000.00. By that time I had sold most of the pieces I had brought and wanted to invest
my money in something nice, otherwise it might get wasted on food, clothing or landscaping.
I started counting out hundred dollar bills at the owner's table and he said OK as the 16th one was dropped.
So I am pleased with it and have found no defects. Could pass as unfired, all the screw slots line up fore and aft as they should.
And most importantly; any time I get inflated opinions of my gun work a quick glance at this piece will properly humble me.
I
 
$1600!? Wow that's cheap. I don't know anything about this particular manufacturer but all the drillings I've seen were multiple times what you paid.
 
Beautiful gun but it has my curiosity peaked; The drilling that I have seen fired the rifle barrel using a transfer bar on one of the hammers. Your gun seems to have 3 cocking indicators with all three raised in the photo. They must somehow indicate that the barrels are all loaded as opposed to being cocked.

cheers mooncoon
 
Beautiful gun. To me there is a bit of a mystery. Isn't the location of the gauge and caliber on the top rail unusual? On early guns the bore measurement was stamped not the groove diameter. Also the font differs from those on the flats. As well the alignment of the font is not as good as the workmanship on the rest of the gun. I'd guess this was done by a person on this side of the water. Do you have any history on this gun?
 
Back
Top Bottom