Euroarms-Brescia-Italy, Kentukian 44 Cal Black Powder

sdizzyday

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
Sunny AB
So I just received this Muzzle Loader from a friend of the family. It is in what I would consider good condition.
I have no idea about Black-Powder firearms.....
Is this thing old or reproduction?
Is it safe to shoot (once I learn about Muzzle loaders, loads, etc)?
Does it hold any value?

Just trying to decide if it is a good candidate to start into this segment of this beloved Sport...

Thanks for any info that I can gain.

Cheers, Scott
YURjMv2.jpg

0WrRGTT.jpg

hExrOUg.jpg

lG0k8Rf.jpg

7bLk8mM.jpg

Bi2xCSD.jpg

X32AP3d.jpg

ikXj1D8.jpg
 
I have the exact rifle super fun to shoot. on italian firearms you can find the date code which is 2 letters in a box, which can be referanced on line probably found under the stock. To get the stock of there are 2 screws holding the lock on and 1 screw at the back of the barrel. Then there are 2 pin holding the nose cap and forend of the stock. But disassembly is not required. Get yourself a box of 45 pre greesed patches, .440 balls, #10 percusion caps and some fffg powder and a messure. Then watch a few youtube video on how to load and how to clean. Super fun to shoot. Its not a really valuable rifle i paied 250 for mine 15years ago, reproduction black powder rifles dont seem to hold too much value, my thought lots of folks find them too slow. But those who get bitten by the bug love it.
And unless you are really small framed fellow bring a slip on but pad, the but plate is too small for me.
 
Great, thanks for the info. I will hit up You Tube for some Black powder 411.
I will certainly need to do something about that small pointy Butt on that old girl - would really hurt!
Cheers.
 
Great, thanks for the info. I will hit up You Tube for some Black powder 411.
I will certainly need to do something about that small pointy Butt on that old girl - would really hurt!
Cheers.

I have a Winchester High Wall in 45-70 with that same shape crescent butt. It CAN smart. The secret is that instead of tucking it into the usual place between the collar bone and the top of the arm - right where it WILL hurt - it fits AROUND the TOP of the arm muscles, where it, uh, fits.

I recommend you a couple of things -

1. Find a shooting pal who is already into black powder - it really IS a different world.

2. Get yourself the latest edition of the Lyman black powder handbook.

Almost forgot, please use BLACK POWDER [or one of the substitutes like Pyrodex RS/Triple 7/Cleanshot], and NEVER ANY KID OF NITRO POWDER.

And welcome the world of cow-fart-smelling smoke.
 
Great info!
I will certainly do some good research before plugging some powder and lead into the barrel of this bad boy, and sparking it off :)
Thanks Again All.
Scott
 
Great, thanks for the info. I will hit up You Tube for some Black powder 411.
I will certainly need to do something about that small pointy Butt on that old girl - would really hurt!
Cheers.

It will only hurt if you try to shoot it like a more modern rifle. Instead shoot these replicas like they did way back in the day. Stand more sideways with your trigger arm up like the wing of a bird and put the butt end onto the upper root of your arm with the lower point into your armpit. Black powder doesn't smack you like a .300 WinMag. More of a stout push.

Plus the length of pull will seem a bit odd until you use this more sideways stance with the rifle laying across your chest in this manner. But try it that way and suddenly it all fits really well. But yeah, if you try to use it like we tend to use modern rifles and shotguns it'll hurt bad.

I see a "Cal .44" on the barrel in the pictures. Geotndtwine, is yours the same bore size stamping? If this really is a .44 then .440 round ball won't leave any room for the patch. Or at least it'll be a really hard fit.
 
Back
Top Bottom