factory ammo for old win 1894,safe???

reloaders

New member
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Location
vancouver island
Hello,I just purchased a winchester 1894 32 ws,it was made in 1903.I was wondering if factory win 170 gr ammo would be safe to shoot out of it?I was searching on the net and came across an origional ad from winchester indicating ;that thier new smokeless barrels could handle the 170 gr at 2200 fps.The rifle is in fair cond,with good lock up, and strong rifling.I would like some info from anyone who has personal knowledge with the old 1894 rifles.If it is not safe ,could they suggest a safe load for 170 grain bullet. Thanks Dave.
 
First thing I always do is have a competent gunsmith check my 1894 after purchase to ensure it is still good to shoot with.

Concerning your particular example, does the barrel have "Nickel Steel Barrel - Especially for Smokeless Powder" stamped on it? If so, you should be good to go with factory ammo. Factory ammo shoots nicely in my 32 WS 1894/94s.
 
A side note on the above: I understand that barrels not marked as such are safe with smokeless, but the less hard steel cannot stand up to repeated use of jacketed bullets, i.e. cast only, which in the end means no "factory" ammo.
 
Also I don't think you will find a .32 WS that is not marked for smokeless powder unless it is up into the 1930's or newer. The first 1894's were chambered in .32/40 and .38/55 and were black powder rounds. The .30WCF and .25/35 came out in 1895 and the .32WS in 1903. Your .32 will work fine with factory loads, I've have four old .32 WS 26 inch rifles and all digest it without a hiccup.
 
Back
Top Bottom