Factory squibb?

Shack07

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Location
Alberta
I've been shooting for 8 years or so with pistols and can't remember having a factory squib til today. I actually think that there wasn't any gun power in the case. The primer had a good strike and the bullet came out a little bit but it jammed the gun up nicely.
Anyway thought it was interesting. Here are some pics.
Ammo was American Eagle 147 grain FMJ flat point.
Gun was a S&W M&P9.

P5040605.jpg


P5040606.jpg
 
I had 4 squibs in two different boxes (same lot) of personal protection ammo. I refuse to buy Winchester now. Had it been bulk crap I wouldn't mind.
 
i've had it happen more than once- usually results in the old bullet in the barrel routine, which is taken care of by the hammer and dowel routine
 
That is really bizarre.....my firing pin hits closer to center and has a tear drop. I'm surprised the bullet didn't lodge slightly in the barrel or engage the rifling.

That is because you are using a striker fired gun.

The hit should still not be quite so far off though. I have found a couple of my spent primers like that too so I guess it is normal?
 
The striker hit does look a little far off center, but it obviously fired if the bullet moved. It looks like you got a bad load. I wouldn't be surprised if it was from a bulk box, but American Eagle has never given me a single problem in my M&P9.
Contact Federal, you might get some free ammo out of the deal.
 
I never really noticed how far off centre it was before. I will double check my action and maybe take apart the slide to check it.
After I cleared the jam I visually checked it and went back to shooting and no further problems.
 
My M&P9 makes a slightly tear drop shaped shape in my primers as well as an obvious firing pin strike almost exactly in the center every time..... I have looked at it very closely and wondered if the "deepness" of the strike will get shorter over time...... Its quite deep (about twice as deep as the pictures above show), I am actually a little surprised it hasn't busted right through the back of the primer....... It seems VARY deep IMO, good thing it's rounded, if it was a "pointy" point I think it would have busted through already....

I tried to take a pic..... My camera is too crappy to get nice close ups..... all you can see is that it is a shell casing..... and that is all.

***** Stupid Question Alert *****

Will the Firing pin in my M&P (or in any pistol) get shorter over time as it wears?

Cheers!
 
The M&P does not have a firing pin. The striker should last hundreds of thousands of rounds. I have had off center hits similar to the OP's out of my Glocks.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom