You're right, of course: COTW does not list the 44/100 revolver cartridge, nor do they list the .256 Frazier, the .380 Boxer, the 7x54 Mauser, the 6.8x57 Mauser, the original .28 Ross-Eley (NOT the later .280, mind you: the original .28 experimental), the .58 Gallagher & Gladding and a whole slew of others.
What COTW lists is the cartridges which 99% of collectors and shooters will encounter in their travels..... and a goodly few which are rare and unusual. Personally, I am happy that the latest edition lists (and gives measurements for) the 11-bore shotgun round; I spent far too many years being told that I was a liar or a fool when I insisted that this is what my W&C Scott and Sons double hammer gun was built for. Of course, 11s are not exactly common; my gun is Number 2 of a set and I have never seen another. But it does exist and now I have accurate measurements thanks to COTW, so I can start up the lathe and make 10 rounds.
Most of the others I list also are rare or arcane for one reason or another, but still they insist on existing. Let`s look at them:
.58 Gallagher & Gladding: exactly 1 specimen known, discarded 60 years ago by the US Patent Office when they were housecleaning.
The .380 Boxer: ancestor to the entire crowd of .38 centrefires; there was a gun on here that used it, not all that long ago, fellow actually had a whole handful of original rounds to go with it. It exists.
The .28 Ross was made in ONE batch only, for at MOST half a dozen rifles, of which ONE exists today for sure.
The 6.8x57 Mauser, the ORIGINAL .270, was for one 1908 shipment of rifles to China...... which later were reworked to 8x57.
The Frazier was for a handful of long-range Match rifles built many years ago; ammo was by King's Norton, 2 loads (I have 3 rounds of each) and is scarce enough that generally it is auctioned.
The 7x54 was reworked 7.65 Mauser that found its way to the Boers over a century ago; I have 2 different originals.
But these are not in COTW because 99% of shooters will never see one....... and books cost a TON of money to print. Having printed and published books myself, I can REALLY understand leaving them out, even though the antique-nut in me screams, "Put them ALL in, you fool, along with ALL those others!" And that would give us a 10-pound book that costs $60 a copy just to print on thin, cheap paper that self-destructs in under a century. Not really practical. COTW IS practical.
COTW is an excellent book and contains more information than 99% of collectors will ever want, need or assimilate. For its list price, it is a steal and I really hope everyone gets a copy; if they have any interest at all, it will afford them countless hours of pleasure.
Okay, I let Twosteam post the pics of the Remington. She is much better than I am with these things (used to design and build her own circuit boards, back when you couldn't buy them, so she knows what she's doing). As far as the Remington is concerned, I am tired of people telling me that:
1. I'm a fool for thinking it is real
2. It's a Model 1875
3. Bubba built it last week
4. It's worth $50 for parts
5. Setcha hanimule wuz never made
But there it is, big as life and twice as ugly.
What are your opinions Mooncoon? Anyone else?
.
What COTW lists is the cartridges which 99% of collectors and shooters will encounter in their travels..... and a goodly few which are rare and unusual. Personally, I am happy that the latest edition lists (and gives measurements for) the 11-bore shotgun round; I spent far too many years being told that I was a liar or a fool when I insisted that this is what my W&C Scott and Sons double hammer gun was built for. Of course, 11s are not exactly common; my gun is Number 2 of a set and I have never seen another. But it does exist and now I have accurate measurements thanks to COTW, so I can start up the lathe and make 10 rounds.
Most of the others I list also are rare or arcane for one reason or another, but still they insist on existing. Let`s look at them:
.58 Gallagher & Gladding: exactly 1 specimen known, discarded 60 years ago by the US Patent Office when they were housecleaning.
The .380 Boxer: ancestor to the entire crowd of .38 centrefires; there was a gun on here that used it, not all that long ago, fellow actually had a whole handful of original rounds to go with it. It exists.
The .28 Ross was made in ONE batch only, for at MOST half a dozen rifles, of which ONE exists today for sure.
The 6.8x57 Mauser, the ORIGINAL .270, was for one 1908 shipment of rifles to China...... which later were reworked to 8x57.
The Frazier was for a handful of long-range Match rifles built many years ago; ammo was by King's Norton, 2 loads (I have 3 rounds of each) and is scarce enough that generally it is auctioned.
The 7x54 was reworked 7.65 Mauser that found its way to the Boers over a century ago; I have 2 different originals.
But these are not in COTW because 99% of shooters will never see one....... and books cost a TON of money to print. Having printed and published books myself, I can REALLY understand leaving them out, even though the antique-nut in me screams, "Put them ALL in, you fool, along with ALL those others!" And that would give us a 10-pound book that costs $60 a copy just to print on thin, cheap paper that self-destructs in under a century. Not really practical. COTW IS practical.
COTW is an excellent book and contains more information than 99% of collectors will ever want, need or assimilate. For its list price, it is a steal and I really hope everyone gets a copy; if they have any interest at all, it will afford them countless hours of pleasure.
Okay, I let Twosteam post the pics of the Remington. She is much better than I am with these things (used to design and build her own circuit boards, back when you couldn't buy them, so she knows what she's doing). As far as the Remington is concerned, I am tired of people telling me that:
1. I'm a fool for thinking it is real
2. It's a Model 1875
3. Bubba built it last week
4. It's worth $50 for parts
5. Setcha hanimule wuz never made
But there it is, big as life and twice as ugly.
What are your opinions Mooncoon? Anyone else?
.


















































