FFFG charge for Brown Bess

100 grains, but most will say you can get away with 120 without issue...

In general when going from 2F to 3F you drop the charge by 10% to keep similar speeds. Having said that there is no hard and fast rules as to how much pressure is created with a given load whether it be 2F or 3F (and it also varies, sometimes significantly between different powder types, manufactures and even lot/batches).

The (builder) gives a "lawyer safe" recommendation for a maximum charge. But as an example, 100 grains of FF Elephant Brand (real black) produces far less pressure than 80 grain of 777 FFF - so that recommendation is really just a guideline (but you shouldn't take that as "I'll dump 150 grains down the tube and see what happens") :)
 
I've shot a pedersoli Bess for 20 years and my hunting load was 80grs of fffg it works great and will blow a hole through a deer the size of my fist. I found once I went over 90grs the accuracy got questionable. I only used 90grs to reach out a bit further at rendvous when we'd shoot at our 200yd smoothbore gong.
 
I have been a hunter most of my life. The most fun I ever had hunting was grouse hunting with my Bess. The Long Land Pattern Musket was an under-represented but highly influential instrument in Queen Victoria little Wars.


"Brown Bess"

In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes and brocade
Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise--
An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes--
At Blenheim and Ramillies fops would confess
They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.

Though her sight was not long and her weight was not small,
Yet her actions were winning, her language was clear;
And everyone bowed as she opened the ball
On the arm of some high-gaitered, grim grenadier.
Half Europe admitted the striking success
Of the dances and routs that were given by Brown Bess.

When ruffles were turned into stiff leather stocks,
And people wore pigtails instead of perukes,
Brown Bess never altered her iron-grey locks.
She knew she was valued for more than her looks.
"Oh, powder and patches was always my dress,
And I think am killing enough," said Brown Bess.

So she followed her red-coats, whatever they did,
From the heights of Quebec to the plains of Assaye,
From Gibraltar to Acre, Cape Town and Madrid,
And nothing about her was changed on the way;
(But most of the Empire which now we possess
Was won through those years by old-fashioned Brown Bess.)

In stubborn retreat or in stately advance,
From the Portugal coast to the cork-woods of Spain,
She had puzzled some excellent Marshals of France
Till none of them wanted to meet her again:
But later, near Brussels, Napoleon--no less--
Arranged for a Waterloo ball with Brown Bess.

She had danced till the dawn of that terrible day--
She danced till the dusk of more terrible night,
And before her linked squares his battalions gave way,
And her long fierce quadrilles put his lancers to flight:
And when his gilt carriage drove off in the press,
"I have danced my last dance for the world!" said Brown Bess.

If you go to Museums--there's one in Whitehall--
Where old weapons are shown with their names writ beneath,
You will find her, upstanding, her back to the wall,
As stiff as a ramrod, the flint in her teeth.
And if ever we English had reason to bless
Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Rudyard Kipling
 
Last edited:
Take it out and experiment a little. Mine worked best with 80grs I know others that worked like a champ with 90gr, I knew one guy that shot 100grs and that worked for him but 100 didn't work for me and you'll fine even though these besses look the same they are not perfectly the same and preformance may vary from Bess to Bess. Never fill your flash pan, for the best performance from your lock only half fill the pan, it allows the flash to expand faster. And load with your touchhole pick in the touchhole, any grains of powder that seep out into the touchhole can cause a delay in the pan flash to the main charge going off. We all used pedersoli besses none of those India made things.
 
The Proof Charge on a Brown Bess Musket according to official military 18th century documents was ~23 drams, which is roughly 641 grains.
The Service charge was 6 drams, which is roughly 165 grains. - However according to primary documents, the service charge appears to have slowly been decreased over time.

If you are making paper cartridges i'd go for a 110 grain paper charge, appx 15 gr of which are poured into the pan. For a "universal" paper charge, use FF. (FFF would work too.) Goex brand is best.

I am a reenactor and shoot BP rifles and muskets... a lot.

Got any Questions? Feel free to drop a PM.
 
Thanks for all the great advice, the BP section is definitely the most helpful portion of CGN!

I do intend to use my Pedersoli Brown Bess pheasant hunting this season, I'm just waiting for some wads, and a cartridge box to arrive from Dixie Gun Works.
 
I've used mine for bird hunting, my usual 80gr charge a wad and 2 1/4 ozs of shot and ram another wad over that, I made my wadding out of compressed wasp nest, instead of burning it just disintegrates. Worked great. I suggest if you shoot round ball patch your ball the same as a rifle. I've done paper cartridges as well and the preformance is less than disappointing.. not accurate and the power varrys due to it not being perfectly accurate in powder measurement (if you use a bit for priming that is) and it's a horrible way to patch a ball. Fine for its purpose in the day that's all. Lobbing a ball into a crowd of men facing you in the open.
 
Back
Top Bottom