Hello all,
I recently had a chance to pick up a Safari Arms percussion cap rifle for one hell of a deal. The barrel is in pretty poor shape, but I just bought it to mess around with mostly.
I picked up a pound of Hodgdon Pyrodex "P", also labelled as "The FFFG Equivalent". Now, I have read that FFFG is generally for .45cal and lower. I have also read that I can start at 50gr FFFG, and work my way up [which I don't plan on going much higher].
I know I'm going to get told to buy the Lyman book, or whatever one is all the rage these days, but in order to buy it, I'll have to find it. My biggest concern here is that I got boned out of a pound of powder that I won't have a use for.
So, my question is: Can I start with 50gr of FFFG in my .50cal muzzleloader safely, and work my way up to, let's say 65gr.? For refrence, I'm using a T/C .44 240gr lead HP in a .50cal sabot.
Thanks y'all.
I recently had a chance to pick up a Safari Arms percussion cap rifle for one hell of a deal. The barrel is in pretty poor shape, but I just bought it to mess around with mostly.
I picked up a pound of Hodgdon Pyrodex "P", also labelled as "The FFFG Equivalent". Now, I have read that FFFG is generally for .45cal and lower. I have also read that I can start at 50gr FFFG, and work my way up [which I don't plan on going much higher].
I know I'm going to get told to buy the Lyman book, or whatever one is all the rage these days, but in order to buy it, I'll have to find it. My biggest concern here is that I got boned out of a pound of powder that I won't have a use for.
So, my question is: Can I start with 50gr of FFFG in my .50cal muzzleloader safely, and work my way up to, let's say 65gr.? For refrence, I'm using a T/C .44 240gr lead HP in a .50cal sabot.
Thanks y'all.


















































