Firing a antique musket

lyman54

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
There is a fellow at the range who wants me to check on his original 1863 Type 11 Springfield musket if it could be fired. I use a Pedorsoli 3 band Enfield and have been shooting muzzleloaders for many years, so I'm not new to this. But I'm also not a gunsmith. I will look of course at the general condition and check to make sure it's not loaded. The nipple may pose a problem if it's rusted in. The bore would be looked at as best as possible. If everything looks good I would suggest snapping a cap at some that would move, grass etc. A very small load of powder with just wadding and sandbags over the breech to start. Am I missing something, or should I miss the whole thing? Thanks for any input.
 
Best way to inspect the bore is with a video inspection tool. Those little cameras on the end of a line.

Failing that drop a nickle casing down the barrel and that will help reflect the light up.

If you can get the nipple out do it, you should check the snail/drum on it to make sure the interior isnt totally rusted away. If so it can be back but is quite a bit of work.

Also post some pics! :)

Cheers, McLean
 
Be very, very careful where you stand when/if you fire it. A friend fired an old musket (Stuck in a tire, trigger pulled with a string) and the nipple blew out and nicked his ear.
 
If it doesnt go easy with some oil then take it out of the stock and heat it up. That should work. Howeevr make sure its unloaded before you torch it haha!

Cheers, McLean
 
If it doesnt go easy with some oil then take it out of the stock and heat it up. That should work. Howeevr make sure its unloaded before you torch it haha!

Cheers, McLean

This works well. I use a fine welding tip on my oxy-acetylene torches, then heat the nipple on the very tip until it glows red. It will almost always spin out easily. I like to chase the threads using one of TOTW's taps. They make oversized nipples and taps as well if required. I keep a few of all sizes on hand just in case. :)
 
"...original 1863 Type 11 Springfield musket..." It'd depend entirely on its condition. Likely too valuable to shoot anyway, but modern BP isn't the same as the stuff that one used. Plus if the nipple is rusted in, the rest of the barrel is most likely well rusted too.
 
OP, if the bore is half way decent, I say shoot it. But before you must inspect the entire rifle for signs of pitting, damage.

Even a rusty bore can be brought back with an electrolysis treatment. I just shot my 1861 Snider 3 band yesterday for the first time. When it arrived here the stock was broken in 2, the nipple was smashed, and the bore looked like a sewer pipe. I spent 3 months cleaning and fixing the rifle. The bore got 10-12 hours in an electrolysis tank, but ended up turning out not too bad.

Most antiques rifles/muskets can be repaired or cleaned but it must be done VERY carefully as the results of a mistake or oversight can be very dangerous.
 
Back
Top Bottom