First Antique Advice

A suggestion to the OP - there are several stickies at the top of the page - Antique status determination, antique laws, etc etc etc. Read them through and through, it'll be a start on what the rules are.

Since you want to own an antique you have to know the rules perfectly, because it's a guarantee the police don't know them. To date I've never met a single officer that understood antique regulations, and only one that had heard of them at all. It will be up to you to know the rules, follow them, and be well enough educated to explain with proof to anyone that questions it, both as a responsible antique ambassador and also in order to keep your gun from an overzealous officer.



P.S. Don't worry about anything you get from Dingus... his stuff is cream of the crop. It's the one-off sellers that you have to question more closely.
 
I read a great diatribe, on a US antique sellers site, on the travisty of SAA conversions. Can't find the quote now though. I like to think that my early (1930's) conversion has some of it's own history now too...

A .22 mag antique would be quite convienient, as I expect that off the shelf loads would not exceed safe pressures, eh?

H Walley.... Your inbox is full, can't reply (sorry for the minor hijack)
 
I would again like to say that this will be my first antique, I had no idea 22rf was not a antique cartridge. Based on the talk about 38/44specials I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. Learned something.

...hopefully you learned you should read the regulations. :)

The firearms laws and regulations do not make a lot of sense, and that is especialy true of the antique regulations. To compound the legislated silliness of the firearms laws, there are people who spread misinformation because they don't actually know what they are talking about and have never evenn looked at the laws but offer up their opinions any way.

It's hard to know offhand whether information is good or bad, but if you read the regulations you will have some idea how to decipher the truth. As H Wally said - you need to know the laws very well because the police and general public do not.

The regulations themselves are only a couple pages, and not so hard to understand. Read them and carry a copy in your gun case with the antique firearm. It can save you a lot of trouble.
 
Last edited:
...hopefully you learned you should read the regulations. :)
To compound the legislated silliness of the firearms laws, there are people who spread misinformation because they don't actually know what they are talking about and have never even looked at the laws but offer up their opinions any way.
.

Since I am the one who said that a 38 special, I will jump in and justify the statement. At the moment 38 special is not on the no go list but 38 long colt is. The point being that a 38 long colt can be chambered in a 38 special chamber as i read the dimensions. It would not be a big stretch of the imagination that some police or prosecutors might take the approach that because the 38 long colt can be chambered and shot in a 38 special chamber, the gun should be considered modern. By contrast a gun chambered for something like a 45 scofield with a shoulder in the chamber which prevented a longer shell being chambered (as in 45 long colt) would be a safer choice because it is arguably less likely to be challenged by the powers that be.

As a real life example, I believe the earliest S&W revolvers were intended for BB caps and have very thin chamber walls. Unfortunately they will chamber a 22 short and are classed as that caliber on the FRT disc with the result that they are classed as 12 (6) prohibs

cheers mooncoon
 
38 Long Colt chamber is bored thru and biger in Dia than a 38 Sp chamber + a 38 sp chamber has chamber throats.
I have a Colt 1892 Cylinder with 38 LC chambers there bored thru because the orignal 38 Lc ammo used heeled bullets.
I doubt you could even get and 38 Lc orignal round into a 38 sp chamber.
The bore on a 38 LC is also bigger in dia than a 38 Sp

My advise is just make certin your buying a gun that is in fact 38 Sp chambered and bored.
Its easy enough to see the chamber throats in a 38 Special chamber.
 
Last edited:
There are two versions of the .38LC. Based on available published dimensions, there is no reason that the inside lubricated version would not chamber in a .38SP. chamber.
I agree with mooncoon; the .38SP/.38LC gambit is thin ice.
 
There are two versions of the .38LC. Based on available published dimensions, there is no reason that the inside lubricated version would not chamber in a .38SP. chamber.
I agree with mooncoon; the .38SP/.38LC gambit is thin ice.

Sometimes I think we look for reasons to hide from our own shadow. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but we should also be ready to differentiate between opinion and fact. The RCMP firearms identification branch classify 38 special as a legal antique cartridge. Perhaps they will change their mind at some time and perhaps they will decide that all antiques are illegal, or maybe only the ones made on tuesdays of odd numbered months. It's pointless to speculate on what might be.

What we do know for certain is that for now and the forseeable future the highest firearm technical authority in the nation has ruled that 38 spl is a legal antique chambering, and they have issued numerous official documents in the form of antique letters attesting to the antique status for revolvers which they knew are chambered for 38 S&W Special. So you'll need to excuse me if I don't see a problem.
 
Last edited:
There are two versions of the .38LC. Based on available published dimensions, there is no reason that the inside lubricated version would not chamber in a .38SP. chamber.
I agree with mooncoon; the .38SP/.38LC gambit is thin ice.

Yes but again the antique regs are not based on what happens to fit are they there based on what the chamber is made designed for.
Just like 455/476 WGs that are perscribed antiques alot cycle and chamber and shoot 45 long colt but because the gun was never made in 45 long colt CFC still letters the ones that can shoot 45 colt even tho 45 colt is on the no list. LOL

I agree with Jethunters posts no point in hideing from our own shadows based on what "they" might do.
Keep in mind if they decide 38 sp is a no go or 45 acp or whatever guns can be set up in other calibers.
Any SAA colt in 38 Sp can be changed to 44 sp pretty easy if a guy wanted to do that.
Right now 38 sp is aok and alot of guys like 38 sp its easy to get ammo and its cheep to shoot i say let them have there cake and eat it to :)
 
I don't think it is a case of being afraid of shadows but rather if I buy a gun on the strength that it is an antique and is exempt from registration, I want to be reasonably sure that it will stay an antique for many years to come. The more expensive the gun, the more that I want to be sure. It is not a question of being able to pack a handgun in the bush or similar motivations but rather a desire to be exempt from worrying about collector status or fish and game membership or did I remember to renew my LTATT.

cheers mooncoon
 
I don't think it is a case of being afraid of shadows but rather if I buy a gun on the strength that it is an antique and is exempt from registration, I want to be reasonably sure that it will stay an antique for many years to come. The more expensive the gun, the more that I want to be sure. It is not a question of being able to pack a handgun in the bush or similar motivations but rather a desire to be exempt from worrying about collector status or fish and game membership or did I remember to renew my LTATT.

cheers mooncoon

Thats fair enough but "if" they start changeing things its going to be more than just a few calibers.
They are as we speak deregistering guns that were registered and granting them antique status so the powers that be must be pretty sure that 38 sp is in fact its own cartridge.
They will look pretty silly if they turn that around its a big deal deregistering a handgun eh.

If they can change so can we just pick another caliber.
If theres changes made they will be more than one simple cartridge lets just enjoy this while we can and be ready for a fight if or when it comes to that.
The main thing is remember to be safe and act responsible with your antiques regardless of what caliber they are.
 
If they can change so can we just pick another caliber.
If theres changes made they will be more than one simple cartridge lets just enjoy this while we can and be ready for a fight if or when it comes to that.
The main thing is remember to be safe and act responsible with your antiques regardless of what caliber they are.
Three very good things to remember.
 
Thats fair enough but "if" they start changeing things its going to be more than just a few calibers.
They are as we speak deregistering guns that were registered and granting them antique status so the powers that be must be pretty sure that 38 sp is in fact its own cartridge.
They will look pretty silly if they turn that around its a big deal deregistering a handgun eh.

If they can change so can we just pick another caliber.
If theres changes made they will be more than one simple cartridge lets just enjoy this while we can and be ready for a fight if or when it comes to that.
The main thing is remember to be safe and act responsible with your antiques regardless of what caliber they are.

This is the right stuff.
Well said, Dingus.
 
Back
Top Bottom