first hand exsperience

walt53

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
NE Alberta
Hi
I was wondering if any one out there has used pyrodex or t7 in there side lock
muzzle loaders.If so I would apreciate all comments ON the subject,how much to use compared to black powder and if regular or magnum cci percussion caps work best.a AND ANY pro's an con'sON THE SUBJECT.
BP can be difficalte to purchace 75% of the time for me,and i'm not gonna let that stop me from shooting.THANKS IN ADVANCE, WALT
 
Triple seven is more powerful than black powder. You have to reduce your load so just follow the instructions. I have never used it but I understand that it cleans up with water (just like black powder). I have my reservations about Pyrodex. It leaves a very nasty, highly corrosive residue in your bore and everywhere else it gets. I have never had any problems with it but have seen the results although a combination of poor care may have been part of it. I prefer black powder. It is a low grade explosive but I think compared to gasoline stored on your property it is a lower risk statistically speaking.

Cheers. Steve.
 
I have used pyrodex for years with no problems but I give my guns a thorough cleaning after use and then inspect the guns off and on to make sure that everything is ok.I do this with BP as well just to be on the safe side to make sure I did a good job cleaning.
 
In cartridges, I find Triple 7 to provide identical performance compared to black powder by volume. It is lighter than BP of the same volume, so the above poster was correct it is more powerful, however in my gun volume for volume it produces roughly the same velocities. I do find it to be cleaner than BP (Goex).

While this isn't what you were asking, it's down a different fork in the same road.
 
I've been using Pyrodex in my cap lock muzzle loaders (and in cartridge guns) for many years. I load it volume for volume with black powder.

I clean up with hot soapy water with a dash of window cleaning fluid.

If you want really detailed loading information - have a look at Sam Fadala's book "Black Powder Loading Manual".
 
I understand that triple 7 can be used in a flintlock. You still have to prime the pan with 4F though. Like I said, I've never used it. I have found that Pyrodex can be fussy in some guns. I think it has a higher ignition temperature than black powder. The poster that mentioned windshield washer fluid is right on the money.

Cheers. Steve.
 
yeah with a flinter it really sucks you have to use blackpowder to prime so its really not worth the bother and dont beleave what they say about less fouling its Bull. works fine in a percussion gun though, however I dont like useing it in a cap and ball revolver.
 
Back
Top Bottom